Advent Maestro Review? Anyone?

bassment142

Hey there,

Just scored some nice Maestros for $20 and was wondering if anyone here has anything to add about them.

How do they compare to original/new/smaller/legacy advents?

Was the bubble midrange a needed driver, or is it unnecessary?

Do these have real nice deep low bass like other advents?

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Well, thanks to you, we now have a review.

Never heard the Advent Maestro, Legacy or Heritage or  Laureate. And so, I could never render a "hands on" review.

However, I've heard Baby Advent II's a couple of times in different locations and they were really nice. Plenty of bass, not very detailed but very balanced and very pleasant.

Over the years, I have read a large number of articles on Advents and the ones that are still in demand (somewhat) are the Original Advent, New large  Adevent, 5012 & 25th Anniversary edition. I still own the Original Advent (walnut). An exceptional speaker for it's time. My only knock is the highs can get screechy.

And of course - the double or stacked Advent. Unfortunately, I've never heard them. A big deal way back when.

• 5 months later...

We will see what I think now! I just found a free pair of Maestro's that is salvageable. This winter I'll give them a little TLC and see what I get out of it. The lack of interest on these suggests that what I have here is a solidly mediocre set of Speakers that were probably sold in a Sears or Montgomery Wards back in the early 90's.

advent#1.jpg

• 4 months later...
On 4/12/2017 at 11:01 PM, rogocolo said:

I love my Maestro speakers. The dynamic range is excellent and most music will sound pleasant on these Advents!

advents.jpg

Advents 2.jpg

Yeah. I've been playing them for about a week now. I unplugged a set of Allison Two's to give the Maestro's a try. The Allisons are great speakers and while the Maestro's won't beat them they come pretty darn close. A major feat considering the Allisons are worth like a few hundred bucks and the poor Maestro's can only bring like $50 to $100.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2017 at 0:00 AM, rogocolo said:

How did you make out with these Advents? I think if you put some care into them they will fetch $200.00

I made out very well with these maestro's. My comment is buried at the bottom of the post above yours: "Yeah. I've been playing them for about a week now. I unplugged a set of Allison Two's to give the Maestro's a try. The Allisons are great speakers and while the Maestro's won't beat them they come pretty darn close. A major feat considering the Allisons are worth like a few hundred bucks and the poor Maestro's can only bring like $50 to $100."

Its now been just about a month since I hooked them up and I don't see them going anywhere soon. Silk smooth sound that fills the room with no effort. I'm actually going to list the Allison Two's for sale today. These Advents are really that good.

• 1 month later...

Hi There,

Your experience bassment142 with the Maestro's was unfortunate. Under different circumstances you may see it another way.

I think they are a very nice "neutral sounding" speaker. Not a bass thumping three-way I do agree with that opinion, but can get the air moving with the correct setup. Everything should be part of system that is "cohesive". I am software and system engineer so I have that geek perspective I suppose. I had the Carver Amazing Speakers (Mark IV, - OAK) but I had not enough amplification / power to drive em, also poor integration with the other Advents (sonic incompatibility) and the room size was too small to get the most out of them (and to appreciate their innovation). Luckily, I broke even with them ($1200.00).

The Advent Maestro's replaced them very nicely at 1/10 the cost. Sized appropriately now as part of a cohesive system, they are part of a compliment of Advents Speakers (Legacy & 6003's) together as my main system to deliver a concert experience. 

Great for almost any music the Advent Maestro is. However, not Metal or Rap music though.

I never get tired of listening to them with my music collections.

I must say though that to get the very best out of them (Maestro's) you need a powerful and accurate Amp that can drive them correctly in order to bring out the sonic detail desired. Unpowered amplification with these speakers will leave anyone a little disappointed. 

I have a Carver M1.5 (350 max watts) recently refreshed (new caps and opamps) driving them today. I am hardly beyond the 9 clock position with the preamp gain. They rock the house or ease you into a musical trance at the end of the day depending on the mood. I have not tried this yet, but my second audio system using a Onkyo 7.1 receiver with the Advents Maestro's would sound OK I bet, but nothing like the sonic clarity and realism I would get with the current Carver setup. I the next several months I will update the crossover with new caps in these to preserve their personal value.

They are not going anywhere as my main speaker setup.

I'm wondering bassment142's Maestro's had bad woofer surrounds or maybe drivers not screwed in tight enough. Granted, Mine have been in a medium sized room (16 x 18) with lots of stuff in it, so maybe I just got lucky with a perfect room/speaker match. As for power, mine are run by a Marantz 2270. Not wimpy but no powerhouse either.

• 3 years later...

This thread is yet another reminder that, if you buy old speakers, you MUST be sure they have been restored to new condition before passing judgment.

You can't buy a 30 - 40 year old pair of speakers and assume they are in listenable condition, no matter what a seller might claim. Things deteriorate with age.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Great speaker period. Add some high end capacitors (Clarity, Mundorf, etc),  a bit of bracing and remove a few ounces of cab damping material and they sound wonderful. Have them set up next to my Wilson Sabrina's and will never part with them. Who ever says they have no bass has no idea of what good speakers should sound like and probably own Cerwin Vega's or some other sort of unsophisticated bangers.

If ANY Advent is lacking in bass, there IS something wrong with the woofers, themselves, or there are leaks in the cabinet, period. In fact, air leaks in any acoustic suspension speaker will completely ruin the entire frequency response.

Doug

• 1 month later...
On 11/22/2020 at 8:22 PM, taineasy said:

Great speaker period. Add some high end capacitors (Clarity, Mundorf, etc),  a bit of bracing and remove a few ounces of cab damping material and they sound wonderful. Have them set up next to my Wilson Sabrina's and will never part with them. Who ever says they have no bass has no idea of what good speakers should sound like and probably own Cerwin Vega's or some other sort of unsophisticated bangers.

I have an error in my previous comment. I ADDED (not removed) some damping material in the main cabs (lined the boxes with open cell foam and doubled the foam behind the woofer to cancel the back wave). I also pulled the mid's and lined its enclosure with open cell foam. This along with some new poly film clarity caps and they sound VERY Very NICE.  I was shocked to so see how little damping material was in the cabinet leaving a lot of open air and bare exposed cabinet walls. As an amateur speaker builder for 40 years I am guessing that was a production cost cutting action and the speakers original design had much more damping. You DO need an amp with good power to get the best from these. Minimum of 50-60 watts, but 80-100 would be ideal.

• 4 months later...

Hello taineasy:

I have just acquired a pair of Maestros at a yard sale.  Re-foamed the woofers & then (after about a month!) noticed one of the tweeters was silent.  

Would you be able to verify that the necessary glass tube fuse is 1.5A and 250v?  Or what size should I use?  I can't totally make out the printing on the fuse that I do have.

I like 'em so far, as is, other than not hearing (yet) one of the tweeters.

Thanks for any help.  

• 1 month later...

I love these kind of sporadic threads that don’t die— just get updated over time as people search around these them internets. 

So here’s my story— My first job after graduation from HS was working at a stereo store at the dawn of the big box movement in the late 80’s. I always loved music and my very modest system my dad bought for me as a teenager brought me immense joy. Nothing like that first time I got my Columbia Record Club shipment of LP’s to play— most of which I still have. Being able to work in a store where I could A/B gear every day on my own and for customers was a DREAM for a 17 year old kid falling in love with quality gear as the CD revolution was in full swing. At the store I discovered that I much preferred jazz and classical tracks on the Advent Legacy II set up over my normal go to JBL LX44. I discovered what the difference was between a clear and incisive presentation vs a more mellow and lush treatment a pair of speakers could produce. 

I bought the JBL’s but left to go to college before I could buy those Advents. Flash forward 30 years and I start getting back into hifi as a hobby as You Tube reviewers led me back in. I saw an ad for a pair of Advents for $75 ! I THOUGHT they were my longed for Legacy II ‘s but upon arrival they were not—. I thought they were a home build USING the same cabinet— but I decided to take them home anyway as a project and see how I liked them. They at least LOOKED similar. After a refoam  and small cap replacement come to find out that they were NOT Frankenspeakers but a pair of little seen in these parts MAESTROS. I will admit that they did NOT sound good when I first tested them out on an AV receiver— I was disappointed and put them aside for half a year using them as stands— UNTIL I scored a Krell KAV 300i — sooooo I decide to do a demo set up as I was trying out a bunch of my speakers out with the new rig using VERASTARR speaker cables and Mogami RCA’s. out of an SMSL SU8 / Google Chromecast Audio via Toslink/  iFI power supply.   Sounded GOOD using Qobuz and SACD from my Sony universal plater. After about a month moved to XLR for the very first time since the SU8 had the outs and the Krell had the ins. 

BOOM!!!!

Now this baby kicks like I have wanted to hear! with less of that lush sound but more of that “Wall of Sound” vibe that I have liked with some of set ups I have heard at AXPONA, Capitol Audio Fest and the NY Audio Show. Not with the forward mids  and crystal highs I get  with my KEF LS 50’s, not with the luscious mid range warmth I get from my Sonus Faber Concertinos, and not with the full resonant timbre and smooth overall presentation I get from my B&W 802 series 80 transducers— but with  better bass slam, slightly recessed mids, and a top end that tames the edge I was getting from the Krell on my REVEL M20’s. 

This is a speaker that needs a bit of updating if bought stock from its production run. It does not lead with clarity or warmth but is just GREAT with acoustic and well recorded music. The bass isn’t boomy and I have zero desire to add a sub. I like the projection these have as I leave the room and listen from afar— my smallish listening space does them a disservice. So while not the fastest in bass response and having more potential if I could EQ the midrange, with the minimal updating I did to my pair — I am happy with these after finally getting the power they need for the $175 all in I have invested. I’m confident with a demo I’ll get that back when it comes time to sell. 

While not what I had in store 30 years ago, it checks off that bucket list item I’ve had since back in the day when Hi Fi was still mainstream. 

• 4 months later...
On 11/14/2020 at 1:20 AM, Doug G. said:

This thread is yet another reminder that, if you buy old speakers, you MUST be sure they have been restored to new condition before passing judgment.

You can't buy a 30 - 40 year old pair of speakers and assume they are in listenable condition, no matter what a seller might claim. Things deteriorate with age.

Doug

Doug is absolutely on the money dead center bullseye... so much so that I quite literally support a family doing exactly what I love and exactly what "Average Vintage Speaker Buyer" wants. 

Obviously not rocket science it's simply something that could be plugged in and not ever have to be opened up and fixed...the average vintage speaker buyer versus the average vintage speaker Aficionado are very different beasts. 

I thoroughly enjoy and fully refurbishing speakers to the point where it becomes part of the entire she-bang.... bring the bringing it home, the diagnosing the issue, the hunt for the original whatever and perhaps it's a placebo, perhaps I'm that much better than the average refurbished, irregardless all things being equal my refurbishments simply sound better. Bought new pricey testing gear purchase a year or two ago actually confirms that I apparently am a better revivers were than the average.  However seeing a lot of others work tells me that not be saying much at all honestly... haha. 

you get what you put in is what the father that left when I was seven probably should have said at some point- that was way too serious. a terrible joke.   But funny in a Louise c.k. kind of way being the only reason I left it in you take care