4x woofers - need advice on repairing cone AND surround

Kip

Hello, I'm back with a couple more questions...

Woofers - I'm not a speaker expert by any stretch of the imagination (I think I've sufficiently proven that with this topic thread), but AFAIK an "acoustic suspension" speaker is supposed to be airtight (air inside the cabinet damping the woofer cone, or something like that?).  Anyway, I bought some of the surround sealant from Vintage AR to ensure a seal on the surrounds ... but I'm wondering about the center domed cover over the magnet - it seems porous and far from airtight.  It also appears that it was never sealed, factory or otherwise.  Without sawing my woofer in half to see how the air gets chambered inside of it, I'm not sure how a seal is maintained given this porous cover.

Crossover - I have removed the gigondous dual-tap paper capacitor inside the speaker and am ready to build the new crossover - ideally I would like to bolt everything down (e.g. new caps)...hot gluing IMHO feels like too much of a shortcut, given the amount of care I've tried to take so far.  I was thinking flathead machine screws but that would require getting that fiberboard plate out.  I am wondering if anyone's ever tried to remove that and if you had any luck doing so.  It appears to be (hot?) glued down, plus somebody seems to have fired a stapling machine gun at it at length.

Thanks

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this particular model is not intended to be airtight in fact. not sure the reasoning, maybe cabinet size?

notice in your 2nd pic on post 8 that you can clearly see the magnet through the dust cover, this is intentional per Roy. sealing of the surround is not necessary. I generally apply a thin coat of Roy's special sauce just to make them more supple.

if you are going to screw into the back baffle be careful to not drill/screw through the panel. all sorts of ways to affix those new caps. generally leave that old wax block in place due to the choke mount on top and I use a dollop of goop which allows exact placement and sets up pretty quick. the 8" baffle opening doesn't allow my ham hands to do much inside the cabs.

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

It took a few weekends more than I'd planned, but I finally finished these speakers.

I wanted to post a final thank you to everyone here who helped me along the way.

They are truly a pleasure to listen to.

Best wishes to you all.

Archived