Restoring the AR90

markoneswift

Hello all. I just posted a quick intro in one of the other sections but I'm mainly here to learn about the AR90. I just saved a pair from going into a skip because the drivers had 'gone' - I found that they actually need foam (all of them) so I've got some on order and I've stripped / prepped the drivers with shims. I would be very grateful for any helpful hints / tips / do's and don'ts as these are my first refoam mission ! I would also welcome suggestions about amplification - I'm not into room blasting volume levels and my amp collection currently consists of an Akai AS-960 and a Pioneer SX-880. I'm also considering picking up a newer-gen amp, the Sony GX900ES.

25184873170_49cc9185ec_z.jpgWork in progress..... by Justin Robert Bailey, on Flickr

25083259903_e7ae333b27_z.jpgDr Shims woofer workshop. by Justin Robert Bailey, on Flickr

I can tell that the solvent based glues dry very fast and are not very forgiving once put down i.e. little room for error and re-positioning for a good fit. The Aleen's waterbased glue (white glue) allows you much more time to adjust the new surround onto the cone and basket. Glue the inner lip down to the cone first. The shims will allow you to lift/adjust the cone to a height that allows for good location/positioning of the surround to the cone. Once that dries you do the surround to the speaker basket/frame.

Looks great so far.

As far as driving them a good A/B class amp with high damping factor will provide good bass especially at lower volumes.

I have a pair I picked up several years ago that also needed all new surrounds on woofers and lower midranges.  While I was at it I measured the existing capacitors on the crossover boards and made replacements.  

I love these speakers and expect you will too.  They do require (and can deliver) quite a bit of power.  I use a Carver M1.5t with mine and find that a great match.

I second the white glue recommendation - it clears to transparent and allows a bit of "wiggle room" while doing the centering.  Powering the speakers with low frequency sinusoidal low frequency tones will confirm (during your mounting of the surrounds) that you have everything appropriately aligned.

Enjoy your speakers!

• 1 month later...

Hey all, just thought I would pop back in and give an update on progress with the AR90s. They're done ! And they work ! Hah hah, sorry got a bit excited there. I've had huge help from the guys at Audiokarma during the restoration and I'm really please with the results. I used Aileens Tacky Glue, shimmed the coils, took my time. I haven't touched the crossovers as I am very, very inexperienced with electronics / soldering so I don't want to stuff anything up. I'm working on some small projects to get my confidence up (soldering my own speaker connectors etc) before I progress to something like crossovers.

Here's a couple of pictures and a video clip of how they sit now :-

25680345144_a1432fe327_z.jpgFinal setup with AR90s by Justin Robert Bailey, on Flickr

Archived