Hi-Newbie here but wanted to spread the word in case someone comes up against the same issue I did.

Just acquired a nice pair with stands-owner said he thought the crossover in 1 had an issue-cleaned both with deoxit thouroughly.

Only 1 woofer out of 4 worked. Swapped crossovers and same thing on same speaker. Found a thread on audio karma that referred to the flex wires being a little short from the factory.

Pulled the 3 woofers and each had a flex wire that was off-bottom line I got a soldering iron and a few 3 inch pieces of small gauge wire and presto! All woofers reporting for duty.

I was completely ready to send the woofers and or crossovers out to Richard So until I got lucky and found a 6 year old thread-sure hope this helps someone out!

Jettster

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2016 at 9:19 AM, Jettster said:

Hi-Newbie here but wanted to spread the word in case someone comes up against the same issue I did.

Just acquired a nice pair with stands-owner said he thought the crossover in 1 had an issue-cleaned both with deoxit thouroughly.

Only 1 woofer out of 4 worked. Swapped crossovers and same thing on same speaker. Found a thread on audio karma that referred to the flex wires being a little short from the factory.

Pulled the 3 woofers and each had a flex wire that was off-bottom line I got a soldering iron and a few 3 inch pieces of small gauge wire and presto! All woofers reporting for duty.

I was completely ready to send the woofers and or crossovers out to Richard So until I got lucky and found a 6 year old thread-sure hope this helps someone out!

Jettster

I assume you are referring to the tinsel lead-wire that goes above the spider and connects between the voice coil and the terminal posts on the speaker?  If this is the case, and you replaced the wire or lengthened the wire with standard copper wire strands, it probably won't last long due to the constant flexing, especially with an acoustic-suspension woofer with large excursion.  You'd be better off to get some tinsel lead wire and lengthen the existing pieces to allow a longer excursion.

Archived