Finally found some Allison's in this case, Two's

reedger

Heard Allison One's waaaay back in the mid 70's.  They belonged to a friend's dad who was quite an audiophile and had a nice high end system.  The One's as I fondly remember, were Awesome.   At the time though, the One's were laughably unobtainable to a teenager at $1300 a pair

Fast forward to 10 years ago, a friend gave me a set of Allison Fours and set things in motion.    

I really enjoyed the Fours, so I decided that it's time to acquire a set of Ones.   Foolishly, I let a decent pair slip away 5 or so years ago and vowed not to make that mistake again.  

When these Two's came up I didn't let them pass.  

Very nice condition.  Original boxes.  3 of the grilles are in great shape, but one grille is cracked.  The big minus is that the woofers have been reedged with rubber surrounds.  I am going to straighten that out real soon

IMG_0005_zpsckwvakik.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 1:42 AM, reedger said:

Heard Allison One's waaaay back in the mid 70's.  They belonged to a friend's dad who was quite an audiophile and had a nice high end system.  The One's as I fondly remember, were Awesome.   At the time though, the One's were laughably unobtainable to a teenager at $1300 a pair

Fast forward to 10 years ago, a friend gave me a set of Allison Fours and set things in motion.    

I really enjoyed the Fours, so I decided that it's time to acquire a set of Ones.   Foolishly, I let a decent pair slip away 5 or so years ago and vowed not to make that mistake again.  

When these Two's came up I didn't let them pass.  

Very nice condition.  Original boxes.  3 of the grilles are in great shape, but one grille is cracked.  The big minus is that the woofers have been reedged with rubber surrounds.  I am going to straighten that out real soon

You lucked out to find a pair that have nice tweets and mids without being mashed in.........more the rule than the exception I've found from following the used market for so many years.

Very important with the Two, unlike the Ones, the woofers are 16ohm, and wired in parallel, rather than series like the A1. Very valuable. (the 16 ohm units) at their age I would strongly suggest you have them professionally refoamed and have the spiders checked and replaced if necessary. Up until now, most people just refoam and think its all good to go, but no more IMHO. Not at 40 years of age. It's not a big deal for a pro (had mine replaced by Miller Sound back in 2012, along with the refoam.

The sound that comes with those loudspeakers is WELL worth the investment and then you will be good for a long time.

Additionally, with 12 drivers running keep an eye out for an extra tweeter and midrange as a backup.

Bill

Someone please verify that the Allison Two woofers were untreated, unlike the Four's and perhaps, One's which had The Treatment

Here is one of the woofers in my Two's.  Untreated cone, and soon to get a foam surround

IMG_0010_zpsgduus9tk.jpg

Here is a pic of one of my Four's woofers.  Treated cone and surround

IMG_0011_zps8bgnm7ix.jpg

9 hours ago, reedger said:

Someone please verify that the Allison Two woofers were untreated, unlike the Four's and perhaps, One's which had The Treatment

Here is one of the woofers in my Two's.  Untreated cone, and soon to get a foam surround

Here is a pic of one of my Four's woofers.  Treated cone and surround

I've seen both doped and untreated come from the original factory in those days. Again, the voice coil resistance 16 ohm is the most critical factor for the system to respond properly as originally designed. See the attachment....it may help when you take out the woofers.

Bill

Scan_Doc0002.pdf

Archived