AR2 Schematic

Happymotoring

Hi All.

Picked up a pair of AR2's last weekend for about $5.  Started checking them out and they appear to be in actually pretty good shape.  Therefore, I started looking for a schematic online without much luck.  I did find one but it did not seem to match the configuration I found in the speaker.

Why you ask if I have the speaker in front of me do I need a schematic?  Well the caps are two Pyramid ganged units with 2 x 2uF caps inside.  There are 3 lugs and I am having a hard time parsing which lug is the connection for which internal cap.  My guess is the center lug is common to the 2 caps inside.

End of the day if you have a schematic or any experience with AR2's and can shed some light on these caps I would love to hear from you.

Thanks for your help.

TV

Hi TV and welcome to the CSP!

Great buy! My AR-2a's have Pyramid 2x2 caps. Looking closely at one, there is a "C" stamped above the left-hand terminal, so I'd say that's common. In the 2a, the other 2 terminals of the cap are jumped to make it a single 4uF. The 2a also has a similar cap ganged to make 6uF.

BUT... I suggest you leave the caps alone. They are oil filled and many audiophiles prefer them. Also, disposing of them could pose environmental hazards.

I'd suggest you leave the caps, clean the pots or replace them with L-pads, check the woofer for air leaks (and if found, treat with Roy's goo and ONLY Roy's goo). If you find the treble lacking you could add external super-tweeters such as the MicroStatics.

Enjoy!

-Kent

7 minutes ago, genek said:

Preferences aside, there is no need to replace oil filled can caps. As long as they are not leaking, they don't degrade over time the way other types of caps can. 

Gene is right of course. I forgot to mention that. It's electrolytics that should be replaced and as long as you don't see any damage or obvious leaks it's best to leave them.

-Kent

Attached is schematic for AR-2 and its identical twin, the AS-2 (same components), marketed by Heathkit. Also a pic of original AR-2 caps - - in total, 4 ea. @ 2uF per cabinet. AR-2's with that double mid-tweet, are meant to be placed horizontally (side-to-side rather than top and bottom) when is use, which explains the typically unfinished fourth (bottom) cabinet face.

AR-2 schematic.jpg

AR-2 (AS-2) schematic.jpg

AR-2 caps.jpg

Archived