Securing old rear labels

DavidDru

Aleene's Tacky Glue.glue but thinned with water.

Glue down the edges and coat the label with the same

Try contact cement.  Gently pull back the label where it is coming loose, being careful not to tear the label.  I use the old DAP Weldwood "original" contact cement (this is not the water-based version), and I use a small paint brush and carefully apply a small amount the cement to both the wood side and the back of the label.  Be careful not to let it get too far beyond the edges, but it can be cleaned with acetone or lacquer thinner if you get the original version.    This used to be available in small glass bottles with a brush attached to the cap. 

Once applied to both sides, give it a few minutes to begin to set (usually around 3-5 minutes or so), and then press the label back on the plywood.  I have used this for many years, and it works great.  This will hold indefinitely and will not damage the label.  An alternate is rubber cement, but this will not bond as well.

--Tom Tyson

Weldwood_Original_Cement.jpg.6f4d409a693

6 hours ago, tysontom said:

Try contact cement.  Gently pull back the label where it is coming loose, being careful not to tear the label.  I use the old DAP Weldwood "original" contact cement (this is not the water-based version), and I use a small paint brush and carefully apply a small amount the cement to both the wood side and the back of the label.  Be careful not to let it get too far beyond the edges, but it can be cleaned with acetone or lacquer thinner if you get the original version.    This used to be available in small glass bottles with a brush attached to the cap. 

Once applied to both sides, give it a few minutes to begin to set (usually around 3-5 minutes or so), and then press the label back on the plywood.  I have used this for many years, and it works great.  This will hold indefinitely and will not damage the label.  An alternate is rubber cement, but this will not bond as well.

--Tom Tyson

Tom,

That's a good idea, but the Weldwood gets super-tough after awhile. If you ever did want to "try" to get the label off I don't think you would have a prayer -- maybe that is a good thing.

I bought some Elmer's acid-free contact cement at the supermarket the other day for a camera project that may be of use here. I'll have to try it before recommending though ;)

Roger

Archived