Wife needs help finishing his bucket list AR92s

Joe Rutledge

I'm reviving this thread because a year and a half later Kathy is moving. She was able to give some of Joe's prized speakers to family and friends, then contacted me to offer a treasure trove of leftover stuff. My cousin and I hauled it out of her house and it's now in a storage unit awaiting inventory. Once I have a list I'll put it in the For Sale section but I wanted to pique some interest.

Two things I'd really like to move are a pair of AR-9s and a pair of AR-91s. I believe they are complete but 1 or 2 drivers need to be reinstalled.  If anyone is interested in these they are located in Hardyston NJ (pick-up only. No shipping). Kathy offered to split the proceeds 50/50 with me but I will not do that. All proceeds will go to her.

If those big speakers don't sell I'll part them out. Hate to dump the cabinets but the motivation here is to move the stuff and get as much money for our late CSP member's widow as possible.

There are also two pair of AR-3a's but I think I have a buyer for those. As I said, I'll inventory the stuff and list it in For Sale. PM me with any questions.

-Kent

storage resized.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm interested in the 9's mainly for the boxes.  The ones I have I took because the lady

really wanted me to have them.  They are in far worse physical shape than I thought.

Sell them whole if you can, if not I'm interested in the boxes and XOs.

On 9/20/2017 at 1:28 PM, JKent said:

Two things I'd really like to move are a pair of AR-9s and a pair of AR-91s.

Correction: A pair of 90s and a pair of 91s. Thanks DavidR for pointing that out.

Hope to have an inventory list of parts ready to post within 24 hours.

Roger,

Parts were mailed today. And I just packed up ra.ra's. Roy is picking up some stuff this weekend but I need to move it all. Next stop: ebay.

I'll take another look at the list but you are probably in a hurry to clear the storage unit and my funds are limited at the moment. I could use a pair of Tonegan 12" woofers but ... ;)

Kudos again for taking on this project.

Roger

• 4 weeks later...

Nearing the end of the sell-off. A few disappointments--there were some dead drivers that I couldn't sell but now I'm down to a few mids. In fact, as I'm typing this the Cello Amati mids just sold on ebay. Woohoo! I'll be sending Kathy another check soon.

I parted out the AR-90s but the 91s are so nice I couldn't bear to part those out. The woofers had been refoamed but both tweeters were bad. Fortunately Joe had spares and they did not sell, so I'll use those. Grilles are intact. The foams around the tweeters and mids  are missing but I don't see that as a problem.

I sold all of Joe's caps but I'm sure I have the right values in my parts box, so no biggie.

Unfortunately, one of the plastic woofer trim rings is missing. It's just cosmetic but may be an "issue" for some potential buyers. So.... Anyone have a single 12" trim ring they'd be willing to part with?

When these are finished I'll post pictures and offer them to any member willing to pick them up in northern NJ. If I put them on ebay I'll ask $500 but for a direct sale will accept anything over $400. 

-Kent

Again, very kind of you to make this effort on Kathy/Joe's behalf. And good call on the AR-91's - - it'd be a shame to sell them for parts, and that's a very fair price for such an excellent speaker model.

If you are unable to procure the missing trim ring but still want to enhance the "nude" appearance, perhaps you could fabricate a couple of foam infill rings per this image which was found on one of Roger's posts for the AR-58s (same drivers as the 91).

AR-58s trim.jpg

I have two cutouts I had used as woofer seals on my 91's. I didn't like them and used the foam tape from Parts Express.

If you want the cutouts you can have them - RAOK. You may need to do some trimming. They are made of craft foam that is (I think) 1/16" thick.

Let me know and I will mail them to you.

127_2722.JPG

Archived