Sweet AR4x

der

On 2/23/2016 at 3:41 AM, michiganpat said:
2 hours ago, der said:

Interesting link. I am not opposed to improving the sound of a particular speaker, especially if suitable authentic drivers are not available. The question for me is then - where do you stop?

der

I suppose I'm not either. I just don't like it when somebody deliberately takes out working drivers from a classic like the 4X or Wharfedale 70, all in the name of "improving" it. That's what starts to get me riled. They're are a lot of empty speaker cabs out there. Do the mad scientist thing on them. 

On 2/23/2016 at 9:10 AM, michiganpat said:

not sure...I know Carl did a lot of work looking at the CTS knock off phenolic ring tweets as a possible alternative, that might be what's in there...

here's the post on audiokarma

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/recapping-ar-4x.123113/page-4

replies 71-73 are the ones that go into the details of the tang band tweet....

It is easy to see where all the modded 4's are coming from; however, Zilch's end game was to use a PE mirrored set of cabs, JBL woofers and an assortment of HF drivers. Seems to me the mod crowd would do better flipping their 4's on the auction site and going with new cabs.

Fortunately, there are plenty of 4's out there.

I think I'll try Speaker Dave's mods using the original drivers before changing out any drivers.

Roger

Archived