AR-3's...how do you listen to them?

samberger0357

What source do the owners of these classics listen to? Vinyl, cd, stream, all?  I'm typically a vinyl guy, but have been enjoying some of my cd collection this weekend, and marvel at how great they sound through them. These babies just seem to do everything well. 

How about you guys?

Vinyl : Thorens TD 125 with Grace G 707 arm and Grado Signature Black, Rotel RP 900 with Jelco arm and Audio Technica AT50 . CD:  a Teac CD-3 , an old ( 1994 ) cd player that sounds very smooth and " analogic ".

17 hours ago, stupidhead said:

I suspect a lot of digital hi-res through a dac will be the majority, but certainly some vinyl.

Strange things seems to happen when using different inputs of amplifier. Recently I have been using vinyl front end. Ariston RD11S/SME3009S2Imp/Stanton 881S is nice turntable but no high end deck like my ARC CD3MKII CD-player. When I used ARC CD player my H/K Citation 11/12 combo was nice, but nothing too special. Now when using phono input of Citation 11 with Ariston sound quality seems to be quite much above CD palyer used previously. Phono input of H/K seems to reduce shortcommings of these early solid-state designs quite much, even signal will go trough exactly the same line- and power amp stages that were used when listening silver discs ... scary.

Behind my Citation 11 is lurking later Citation 17, that seems to have inferior performance of phono stage for no apparent reason. Maybe I should dig and find if Citation 17 grounding sceme can be improved. I rectified 5-6 clear faults in Citation 11 wiring loom few years ago. Improvement can be heard clearly, hum level also improved close to 10 dB`s.

Kimmo

New_1_New_1_DSCF0607.JPG

Currently through my JVC M-7050 power amp. 200 wpc makes them quite happy. 

I listen primarily to digital and streaming through my Mac Pro tower via a small DAC, and vinyl with a Technics SL-1900 and Ortofon 2M Red. This will be upgraded with a Denon 103 MC cart through a Mitch Cotter SUT. Can't wait to hear how this sounds!

Glenn

On 2/14/2016 at 9:00 PM, samberger0357 said:

What source do the owners of these classics listen to? Vinyl, cd, stream, all?  I'm typically a vinyl guy, but have been enjoying some of my cd collection this weekend, and marvel at how great they sound through them. These babies just seem to do everything well. 

How about you guys?

Many different sources, but also original early master recordings at 15 ips through my Ampex AG440B or Magnecord 1028.

Ampex_440B_AR-3_Reproduction.thumb.jpg.2

Ampex AG-440B

Magnecord_1028B_Tape-Recorder_Tyson_002.

Magnecord 1028B

These fine reel-to-reel tape machines give terrific fidelity when playing master or 1st generation tapes, such as the original Live-vs.Recorded Acoustic Research Fine Arts Tapes.  The AR-3s make it seem as though you were there at the original recording!

56c2990dc71b3_G16_AR_LvR_Original-002b.t

--Tom Tyson

10 hours ago, tysontom said:

Many different sources, but also original early master recordings at 15 ips through my Ampex AG440B or Magnecord 1028.

Ampex_440B_AR-3_Reproduction.thumb.jpg.2

Ampex AG-440B

Magnecord_1028B_Tape-Recorder_Tyson_002.

Magnecord 1028B

These fine reel-to-reel tape machines give terrific fidelity when playing master or 1st generation tapes, such as the original Live-vs.Recorded Acoustic Research Fine Arts Tapes.  The AR-3s make it seem as though you were there at the original recording!

56c2990dc71b3_G16_AR_LvR_Original-002b.t

--Tom Tyson

Would love to hear those someday! Great looking machines.

Archived