AR-1 pair on ebay with reproduction labels?

JeffS

I came across this auction on ebay the other day where the seller is auctioning a matched pair of AR-1's: http://www.ebay.com/itm/222018005904?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The seller states: "They were purchased together and placed inside two large pieces of furniture when purchased from new 50+ years ago and were only taken from that resting place 2 weeks ago."

Looking back at data I have, serial # B13836 sold on ebay on 12/01/13 without the 755A (it was paired with serial #15387, also without the 755A).

If you look at the original label from the 2013 sale you can see where it is torn and separated and has paper missing. The labels on both speakers in the current auction have a white vertical crease that follows the damage seen on the original label. Looks like reproductions to me, with conveniently close serial numbers.

B13836 label (2013).JPG

B13836 label (2013).JPG

B13836 label (repro).jpg

B13833 label (repro).jpg

Jeffs or anyone else.

Jeffs you mentioned "Looking back at data I have".

Question is there a place that has this information I could look at or add to?

I have a few set of speakers I have acquired I would like to know where they came from or just add to the list.

If not Jeffs if you want the info about the ones I have just pm me.

John

The seller says that everything is original and other than what "I" think about the labels that certainly appears to be true.

So I did a little more research (which I should have done before starting this thread) and it appears that the label stock used had a vertical line. I've added a couple more examples where the label stock is inverted.

My other mistake is that the original serial # (from 2013) is most likely B13896 though that seems to be outside of the very small window where the 'B' prefix was used on AR-1's

13653 label.JPG

13647 label.jpg

The yellowing or foxing is caused by acids in the paper or the substrate. If it is a reproduction the only other clue would be if the lines of type are all parallel.

The speaker itself, of course, has it's own intrinsic value with or without the label.

Roger

Well, I think the seller is perfectly legit.

He said that he recently purchased a house and two pieces of furniture were included. The furniture pieces had a grill on the front and a screwed in back panel and they each held an AR-1. That's as good a find as you can get with collectible AR's!

My assumption that the labels could be reproductions, while possible, was based on incomplete research.

This is what happens when El Nino keeps the snow away from my house, I spend more time at my computer and less with a shovel in my hand.

Anyway, lesson learned: research first, then post. Not the reverse.

Archived