The HiVi tweeter

stuckinthe70s

Due to another failed AR3 tweeter and what seems like a never ending battle, I've purchased a pair of the HiVi Q1R along with the appropriate coils. For those of you who have replaced an early AR tweeter with the Q1R, I'm curious about the mounting procedure. Clearly some modification is required to the mounting holes, should I drill the flange with larger holes to match the originals, or drill 3 new holes in the cabinet to match the tweeter flange? There's also the issue with the tweeter terminals, if I want it centered in the cutout I will have to remove some material on the cabinet to make clearance. The thought of making any modifications to the cabinet makes me uneasy.

Thanks,

Ron

I ended up just using some new wood screws to mount the tweeters. Additionally, I pressed a glob of the putty sealer to the bottom of the original screw holes to make sure they were sealed off. This will make it easy to put the originals back in when that miracle tweeter repair is discovered.........:)

As for the sound, I'm very pleased. With the pots turned back to just slightly over half, the sound is well balanced with no signs of harshness or other HF nastiness. These tweeters seem to be well worth the cost, hopefully they hold up well.

Used them in my LST-2's as Roy recommended and they sound great! I modded the flange holes and routed them out to the flange edges making it easy to mount with no mods to the cabs. Minor mod to the crossovers with a cap and air core inductor.

Trying to track down six originals just seemed futile.

I hope the miricle repair does surface some day for the original tweeters though.

Glenn

I "think" my original 3a tweeters still have good output but at my age I'm just not sure. I certainly can detect a difference when I rotate the level controls. But, I suspect I might be missing something but then again would I be able to actually hear an improvement in treble?  It's been over 10 years since my hearing was last tested.  At that time I had a slight loss of high midrange in my left ear only.  I've often thought of purchasing a pair a HIVI tweeters and giving them a go.  Interesting reading.

der

• 1 month later...

Hi.

Just so I don't get the inductor wrong - what is the agreed inductance for these? I'm rebuilding my x-overs (version C) in AR-3 (not 3a) for the q1r tweeters.

Regards

9 hours ago, Turbon said:

Hi.

Just so I don't get the inductor wrong - what is the agreed inductance for these? I'm rebuilding my x-overs (version C) in AR-3 (not 3a) for the q1r tweeters.

Regards

.05mh

Roy

Sorry to bother you all with this... I can not find the info now when I need it. Should the inductor be in series or parallell with the tweeter and the rest stays as is? I have read somewhere about tweaking the caps but that might only be for the LST-2?

Regards

8 hours ago, Turbon said:

Sorry to bother you all with this... I can not find the info now when I need it. Should the inductor be in series or parallell with the tweeter and the rest stays as is? I have read somewhere about tweaking the caps but that might only be for the LST-2?

Regards

It is placed in parallel with the tweeter. I would leave the AR-3's tweeter cap value as is (6uf).

Roy

Thank you Roy.

Then I'm all set with the XO. The leap to be made next is about the finish of the speakers. I will go on and stain them white and put on a few layers of clear laquer as I have done with the shelves in my basement. Yes - that is decided now (I thought). Spring is here which makes outdoor activities quite nice... But as a starter fixing the dents and give'm a light sanding will do for now.

Pictures will follow :) that's a promise!

Regards 

Archived