Another Amp for AR 3's

samberger0357

On 2/4/2017 at 3:24 PM, DavidDru said:

JKent,

Like you, I like separates for the most part, especially for when driving high current requiring speakers etc.  But, when trying to do separates that are also vintage with the type of power you want things can get a littel more difficult with what seems to be a limited assortment of options that can still hold their own with newer stuff.  But, I think i figured out a great solution.  Phase Linear.  A White Oak Phase Linear.

It has all the appeal and timeless quality of a vintage amp with meters, but as a White Oak re-build now has modern cutting edge innards.  More importantly, it sounds fantastic, is safe and you can hear a pin drop when it is on.   I have the PL400 version so it has something north of 200/ch.  There is also the 700.  It does not flinch on any of my speakers.  AR3, AR9, ADS L1590, ADS L910 etc.

You can typically find these already rebuilt and ready to go like I did on AK.  Or, you can find an original PL400 or 700 with good bones and do the work yourself. I saw one recently on Ebay selling for $650 I believe which was a great deal on the surface anyway.  You can get all the scoop here: http://forums.phxaudiotape.com/  or here:  http://www.whiteoakaudio.com/

Here is mine:

Wow! Is that an original Phase Linear cabinet? It's quite stunning. And thanks for the links regarding restoration for these classic amps.

For anyone considering listening to actual McIntosh amplifiers - as opposed to 2nd-hand recollections, unreferenced hearsay, or the like - here's a link to World Of McIntosh. Housed in a 5-story Manhattan townhouse, and with fine art and extraordinary furnishings, it's a unique experience. Parts of last season's Mr. Robot were shot on the premises, too!

http://www.worldofmcintosh.com/

And a pretty cool article:

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2017/02/04/world-of-mcintosh-new-sonus-faber-homage-tradition-speakers/

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a facility AR!  How cool would a party be in that place?.  I don't think I would be very social in there just wanting to experience it.  Somebody needs to explain the pool room to me.

Yep I believe it's an original PL case.  Will need some TLC when the weather warms up and I can spend time in the garage with it.  I also just picked up a wood case for my Citation 1 preamp that only needed some applications of teak oil to add the luster it had lost. 

On 2/18/2016 at 1:43 PM, GD70 said:

The listening area is about 12 feet wide by 10 or so deep.

I move speakers around, depending on which one I'm listening to. My desk & computer are another 3 feet back from the speakers, so often I'm about 12 feet away.

Here's a few pics, the 2A's are gone. the ADS 910' are on their stands now. I have fun down there!

IMG_9894_zpsleiyb1em.jpg

Glenn,

Going thru this thread I found this pic and it looks like you have a Mac MC502 in your cave. What are your thoughts on this for AR-3a's?

-Kent

David - the Phase Linear cabinets were really attractive; whoever did their woodworking knew what they were about.

I think Bob Carver might have been influenced by the early designs of Saul Marantz; initial components from both of these men have a timeless, classic appearance.

Kent - do you have the MC502 brochure?

MC502_bro-page-001.jpg

MC502_bro-page-002.jpg

6 minutes ago, ar_pro said:

Kent - do you have the MC502 brochure?

Didn't. Thanks!

I'm picking it up tomorrow for a test drive but also considering other options.

-Kent

Kent... did you note that MC502 is direct coupled model ie. no tapped choke (which is also called auto transformer) in the output... if this matters to you.

Kimmo

18 hours ago, JKent said:

Glenn,

Going thru this thread I found this pic and it looks like you have a Mac MC502 in your cave. What are your thoughts on this for AR-3a's?

-Kent

Hi Kent,

It drove my 3's fine, but I felt they needed more power as the volume increased. The mac is 50wpc, which in most cases is adequate for my listening area.

I have the Time Windows hooked up to the mac, and it sounds really good. I was lucky enough to find the MC502 & C504 amp & pre-amp at a yard sale from the original owner for 175.00!

They were just dusty & dirty, otherwise mint once I cleaned them up. These are referred as the "Slim Line" pieces. They seem somewhat rare and you don't see them very often.

Glenn

On 10/15/2016 at 4:20 PM, ar_pro said:

$150 for the solid wood cabinet from Audio Classics is a great price, Kent.

I bought a custom walnut-finished cabinet for our MA6900 from this builder: http://www.mcintoshcabinets.com/pages/mcintosh.htm

He literally builds to order, and was happy to accommodate my request for a slightly larger heat vent on top.

Check out his vintage MA5100 in Black Walnut. Woohoo!

cabinet.JPG

5100.JPG

Beautiful, and he did a great job grain matching the top and sides.

Archived