Another Amp for AR 3's

samberger0357

On 10/20/2016 at 9:43 AM, DavidDru said:

The ST70 with Pas2 is in the living room looking retro cool with Wharfedale w70's.  That Dynaco combo didn't cut it with the AR3's.  Now, biamp with a St150 on the bottom and the St70 on top.....hmmm

David, are you talking about an Eico ST70, that brute of a tube amp?  (I assembled one many, many years ago and used it for a few years before I upgraded to one of Eico's first solid state receivers.)  Anyhow, the Eico ST70 is a pretty rugged amp, but as I recall you cannot bi-amp an AR-3 with it without bringing out a 4th terminal.

Indeed, you'll want that 4th terminal anyhow in case the Dynaco amp and the Eico are out of phase.

Now this "4th terminal" can be something as simple as a wire going through the back of the case (naturally sealed with glue/caulk both inside and out) and would look schematically something like the attached.

Regards,

Jerry

AR3axo-4th.JPG

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, DavidDru said:

Sorry , Dynaco ST70 and Dynaco Pas2 preamp.

Well, you still have the same problems when attempting to bi-amp mixing tubes and solid state. That is, you'll still need that 4th terminal.

The Eico from the back looks similar to the dynaco (those 3 huge transformers).  From the front, however, the differences are enormous as the Eico is an integrated amp with a full volume control.  One of the huge problems in bi-amping with power amps is matching gains. Somehow you need to be able to figure out how you send exactly the same voltage to each speaker half.

Regards,

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2016 at 0:43 PM, Sonnar said:

I was born listening through my father's AR speakers, and their sound delighted every day of my 56 years of life. The third pair of AR 3 is probably incoming this fall, a beautiful walnut pair , and I 'm still in search of a mahogany couple. When I was twenty years old I had a lot of hair and I had an Harley-Davidson 883 , and I eas listening music through AR speakers. Now I have very few hairs and I use a Fiat sedan car , but still listening music through AR speakers. 

,, Here you go, there is a chance for you,  Sonnar,, a nice pair of AR3s (mahogany finished) just popped up on EB..http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Acoustic-Research-AR-3-Speakers-Ar3-Mahogany-Original-From-1950s-/311732138292?hash=item4894aef134:g:qZsAAOSwx2dYF-M5&autorefresh=true

zzzzz.jpgzzzzzz.jpgzzzzzzzz.jpgzzzzzzz.jpg

11 hours ago, Liangshan Marsh said:

,, Here you go, there is a chance for you,  Sonnar,, a nice pair of AR3s (mahogany finished) just popped up on EB..http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Acoustic-Research-AR-3-Speakers-Ar3-Mahogany-Original-From-1950s-/311732138292?hash=item4894aef134:g:qZsAAOSwx2dYF-M5&autorefresh=true

zzzzz.jpgzzzzzz.jpgzzzzzzzz.jpgzzzzzzz.jpg

Thank You  , those AR 3 are marvelous ! And early serial numbers ! I 'm sure the auction will ends over 2000 $ , and then the cost of the shipping to Italy . A bit expensive, I presume. 

19 minutes ago, Sonnar said:

Thank You  , those AR 3 are marvelous ! And early serial numbers ! I 'm sure the auction will ends over 2000 $ , and then the cost of the shipping to Italy . A bit expensive, I presume. 

Yup Sonnar! This mahogany AR3s is in like new condition because It had spent entire of its life inside the custom cabinet, except several light scratches marked at the bottom... Wish You or other CSP members will get it ..GL

On 11/1/2016 at 7:40 AM, der said:

Those are not too far from me.

On 11/1/2016 at 7:51 AM, Sonnar said:

der, place a bid! You have 3a and your set will be complete with this very beautiful pair of 3. 

The bids have just ended, very good deal  : $1575... looks like one of our CSP members from East coast won this nice pair... I guess.. :)

11-7-2016 5-44-37 PM.jpg

The gold thread grille on early AR 3 was slightly different : it was identical to the classic AR 3 Saran grille, White cream color , but with a thin gold thread woven into the grille cloth, very charming and elegant.

I don 't know, Sam, but very early. I started a new thread " .....to renew old memories " sharing some pics of my childhood with AR speakers,  my father bought those AR 3 in 1963/4  and had the gold thread grille cloth . Surely Tom Tyson knows what year AR discontinued that kind of very beautiful grille.

21 hours ago, samberger0357 said:

What year are those from?

I don't know exactly the year of those, as you had saw the short clip from my You tube channel, the single blonde with serial C-15xx and the not matching mahogany with serial C-4xxx ( I had found the other mahogany mates with it, unfortunately It being returned to the seller due to shipping damaged.. sign...)

21 hours ago, Liangshan Marsh said:

Here is some close up pictures, we can see the gold thread weave in there..

11-8-2016 1-59-40 PM.jpg11-8-2016 1-56-33 PM.jpg11-8-2016 2-21-47 PM.jpg11-8-2016 2-44-04 PM.jpg

Yes , these are the rare early gold thread grille! Very beautiful, in a class by itself. 

• 2 months later...

Just another amp for AR 3. Picked up yesterday , this Crown Macro Tech 2402 isn' t a brute. I 've never heard a bass so deep , powerful and fast from my AR , and it's very " punchy " when You need it. Mids and highs are never harsh but very clean , full of contrast and transparency , and the stage is solid and firm as a rock. This amp it's a dual mono, classic school class AB , stable on every load : probably an ideal companion for AR 3/3a. Adriano

20170113_103134.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Acquired a nice, cleaned up and restored McIntosh MAC 1700 receiver yesterday and have really been enjoying it. Highly  musical, it drives my  3's and 3a's incredibly well, delivering some of the best bass I've heard from either, belying it's rated 40 watt output spec(although I've read that it's been tested above 60). Not bad looking either. Nice way to start the weekend. 

0126171600.jpg

I tried it with my Six's and preferred my 3's with it. Warmer and deeper and with a bigger soundstage.

The gain hasn't been above 9-10 o'clock on mine, and that produces more then enough volume for me. And I'm really enjoying the tube tuner. Planning on using it a lot this weekend when San Francisco area radio really shines.

Archived