Another Amp for AR 3's

samberger0357

$149 is what they're listing for. I'm going to call them Monday and see what's up. I had McIntosh Cabinets build a case for a Fisher X-101-C that I used to own and it was beautiful, but I just spent $1200 for the 4100. I"m thrilled what I got, but I don't want to pay another $300-400 for a case for it if I can get a mahogany one for $150. 

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12:25 EST    10-16-16

I'm somewhat confused about something here. Yet, somewhat amused.

On Dec. 2015 Audiokarma site indicates:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ar-speakers-where-to-find-sensitivity-and-frequency-response-specs.695405/

Avatar shows receiver was owned on or before Dec. 2015 yet stated differently here on Oct. 13, 2016.       ""Been wanting a Mac for some time now.. This one, pretty much completely restored, came up for sale a day or so ago about 10 minutes from where I live. I knew the people that did the restoration so I was confident in what I was getting, and the price seemed reasonable, so I bit the bullet and picked her up. Happy that I did.""   ""but I just spent $1200 for the 4100. I"m thrilled what I got""

sberger

sbergerAK SubscriberSubscriber

2 hours ago, frankmarsi said:

Avatar shows receiver was owned on or before Dec. 2015 yet stated differently here on Oct. 13, 2016.

Who cares? May be a case of too much time on one's hands.

One of the great things about this forum is that (nearly) everyone is (nearly) always respectful and civil. Let's stick to that standard.

-Kent

20 minutes ago, ar_pro said:

I've been enjoying samberger's posts, especially on his amplifier/AR-3a combinations, and his new Mac receiver, and would humbly suggest that he discreetly but completely disregard any further postings/comments from a certain direction.

Sage advice taken.

And FWIW, I'm using AR3's, not 3a's. 

During the restoration of a pair of 3a's I have been describing in another thread I have been driving them with the test bench amp.

This is a restored 1970 Allied (made by Pioneer) receiver with all of  11 watts RMS at 4 ohms.

Even at this diminutive power availability, these are an amazing pair of speaks!

It's only the test bench amp ( if disaster strikes no big loss ) but it was restored to original ish working order and I was surprised at how well it was able to drive the power hungry beasts. When the finish is done on the boxes, they'll be driven by a Dynaco ST-150.

2 hours ago, LouB said:

It's only the test bench amp ( if disaster strikes no big loss ) but it was restored to original ish working order and I was surprised at how well it was able to drive the power hungry beasts. When the finish is done on the boxes, they'll be driven by a Dynaco ST-150.

My 1st amp was the venerable Dynaco ST-35. Not knowing any better I "upgraded" in the '70s to an ST-120. But.... according to my tech, whose opinion I respect, the ST-150 was the best Dynaco amp.

-Kent

I can truthfully say that I have never XXX rarely XXX  purchased new audio gear.

Almost everything I have acquired since 1969 at the age of 13 was used and most was found at Estate / Garage sales, Thrifts and for the last 18 years, "the auction site". The ST-150 was no exception. It was found at an estate sale in Oak Park, IL.

The poor beast had been relegated to basement clutter by the now departed owner. It was in very rough condition, with sctatches and gouges all over, and a delightful patina of long dried soda pop on the case. The wonder was that when cleaned, it actually worked.

Now that the 3a's are finished I will turn my attention to the venerable Dyna-beast. I will be doing the standard rebuild with all electrolytics being replaced and the 1970's resistors being replaced with 1/2 watt metal films. The odd thing about the 150 is where the RCA inputs are located ( in the center, under the HYOOJ heat sink )

I'll be using it with a completely rebuilt Dyna PAT-4A, with the power supply, Darlington and shielded cable instead of twisted pairs mods.

When it is finished and set in place with the 3a's I'll post pix of the installation.

Used the Dynaco ST400 with the Pat5 pre as my first "large" amp with the 3's.  it was a fine combination but eventually moved on to the Adcoms and now the White Oak rebuilt PL400.  Sold the ST400 but still have the Pat5 that I need to move on I guess.

The ST70 with Pas2 is in the living room looking retro cool with Wharfedale w70's.  That Dynaco combo didn't cut it with the AR3's.  Now, biamp with a St150 on the bottom and the St70 on top.....hmmm

52 minutes ago, DavidDru said:

Used the Dynaco ST400 with the Pat5 pre as my first "large" amp with the 3's.  it was a fine combination but eventually moved on to the Adcoms and now the White Oak rebuilt PL400.  Sold the ST400 but still have the Pat5 that I need to move on I guess.

The ST70 with Pas2 is in the living room looking retro cool with Wharfedale w70's.  That Dynaco combo didn't cut it with the AR3's.  Now, biamp with a St150 on the bottom and the St70 on top.....hmmm

I understand that the PAT5 was quite the improvement relative to the stock PAT4.

I'd love to try out a rebuild on the PAT5 and see how noticeable the difference really is.

I have always been very fond of the Dynaco aesthetic, looks so space age cool.

I had a pair of 1959 Heath W-6 monoblocks driven by Wa-P2's long before I had the 3a's.

Those were the bees knees with the original AR2. Really serious 50's vibe to that.

4 minutes ago, LouB said:

I had a pair of 1959 Heath W-6 monoblocks driven by Wa-P2's long before I had the 3a's.

My dream amps. I had a chance to buy a rebuilt pair from a Heath guru, but at the time just couldn't get the scratch together. Bought his W5's instead. 

Just now, samberger0357 said:

My dream amps. I had a chance to buy a rebuilt pair from a Heath guru, but at the time just couldn't get the scratch together. Bought his W5's instead. 

I had rescued the entire setup from an estate in the early 80's.

The 6550 is an odd tube for audio.

Some folks just swear by it.... Me, not so much.

I had a Sunn Sentura guitar head with 6550's, really loud but not very pleasant sound.

The W-6 Heaths (one was a W-6a and one was a W-6M) were, well, different. Very clean, Lots of power, (yes, fully rebuilt)  but for some reason just didn't impress.

Just my experience, I'm sure others will have vastly differing opinions.

The 6L6 W-5's are really nice amps, really smooth sound.

Lou

2 minutes ago, LouB said:

The W-6 Heaths (one was a W-6a and one was a W-6M) were, well, different. Very clean, Lots of power, (yes, fully rebuilt)  but for some reason just didn't impress.

Just my experience, I'm sure others will have vastly differing opinions.

The 6L6 W-5's are really nice amps, really smooth sound.

Many consider the 6's the best Heath's ever. Just as many, maybe more, like the 5's more. Lots of people(including myself) really like the 6BQ5 UA-1's. 

I had the 5's, UA-1's, SA-2 integrated, and W-7's(wish I hadn't sold those. Would've loved to hear them on the 3's). I liked them all. Alot. But they're all gone. The only tube amp I own now is a Fisher 400.  But if I had a chance to get the 6's I probably would. 

39 minutes ago, samberger0357 said:

I had the 5's, UA-1's, SA-2 integrated, and W-7's(wish I hadn't sold those. Would've loved to hear them on the 3's). I liked them all. Alot. But they're all gone. The only tube amp I own now is a Fisher 400.  But if I had a chance to get the 6's I probably would.

The UA-1's are nice little monoblox! I have always been fond of the 6bq5 based amplifiers. I had a pair of Jensen TF-3 that I used variously with a (2) UA-1 PAS-2 combo, a Knight 741 (?) integrated, and a Scott 299B. Of all, the 299B was the nicest, but with the 420V on the plates, it really could only use the 6BQ5's high voltage cousin, the 7189. 6BQ5 would have a short life at that voltage.

The Knight was an interesting amp, it was made for Allied by Rauland - Borg. Nice transformers. Bulletproof. Really ugly in an appealing way.

Archived