Help identifying woofers

Birger

Hi and thanks for the answer ( and yes I missed a zero )

They where mounted in a pair of 3:a improved ( probably replaced )

They have to be re foamed for further use

Thanks again

Regards Birger

P.S. What might be the differences to the original woofer ?

Hello Birger and Happy New Year from a sunny Italy . Tonegen woofers are a very fine replacement , I have it in my 1990 AR 3a Replica, and I have two pairs of original AR 3 with original AR Alnico Woofers . I didn't notice any udible significative difference . AR 3 original woofers have slightly lower resonance frequency and that' s all. Best wishes , Adriano

Hi Adriano

Thanks for charing your knowledge about the speakers.

hopefully , after re foaming , I can enjoy them for a long time again.

Birger

P.S. as You might see, they are mounted in a pair of LST´s ( or would that be wrong in any way ?? )

Tonegen replacement woofers were made since 1990, AR LST were made in early seventies, so they 're surely a replacement of the original woofers. Some people says Tonegen wofeers aren 't good as originals , but I disagree. There aren 't reasons for it . A well made clone , realized with good materials and precision made, is identical to the original , if not better . Cheers, Adriano

Hello again

Thank´s for those words. I feel much more calm .

After re foaming I´ll also do the crossovers with new parts

Hopefully they will last my lifetime

Thanks again

Birger

P.S. what I mean is, that I was once told, that the only reason to keep the LST´s alive is that they have the original woofers , and maybe even the tweeters as well

I use to recap every crossover of my vintage speaker , inductance will last forever. AR 3 and early 3a used paper/oil capacitance , and because I have two AR 3 pairs , I recapped one pair with Jantzen paper/oil and the other pair with Mundorf polypropilene . Very little differences in sound, but I prefer polypropilene capacitors , faster and cleaner . Take care of pots. Best wishes , Adriano

Birger -

As Adriano has mentioned, the Tonegen woofer is an excellent replacement; I've used the Tonegen in the restoration of a few AR-9 systems, and it integrated perfectly with the original woofers.

Just a note: if you're able, please take photos of your LST crossover rebuild, as these could prove very useful to others who might attempt the same work.

And it's always interesting to look inside an AR-LST ! :)

Hello and god morning to all of You

I´ll try to keep You updated to the ongoing project.

B.t.w. What might be the best way to store spare mid´s and tweeters for future use??

in a box, an airtight plastic bag or ??

Hello Birger,

About driver storage, I asked this question two years ago in this thread but did not receive a great deal of specific advice. When space allows, I generally prefer to store woofers in a horizontal position, with magnet facing down if surrounds are intact. For smaller drivers, some of mine are stored as shown in the pics, and some others are stored (magnet down) similar to the above description of woofers.

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=8000

And about your original question about the 12" woofer, here is a portion of p.28 from the 3A restoration manual. See item A.7.

post-112624-0-02685300-1451928646_thumb.

I prefer to store all my AR speakers ( two AR 3 pairs ; AR 3a ; Ar 2 ) only in vertical position . Never store a woofer in horizontal position, because of its high compliance , and remember , it's an heavy cone. And the same I prefer for midrange and tweeter , because of the delicate dome suspension. You can play Your AR speakers in vertical or horizontal, but loudspeakers must be absolutely vertical to the floor, at 90° .

Sonnar, I'm not sure I understand the point you are making - - I think the question is about spare driver parts and not fully assembled loudspeakers. The pic attached shows a few AR 8" woofers temporarily removed from some ongoing projects - - the woofer on the left (magnet up) has not yet been re-foamed and feels far more stable placed with basket down on plastic sheet; the woofer on right has already been re-foamed, so I have placed this with magnet down on thin bubble wrap which keeps it from rocking or sliding on the "knob" on the magnet's backside. These are all currently kept on a high shelf near the ceiling in my pantry - - climate controlled and out of direct sunlight.

Are you suggesting that this type of temporary horizontal storage is harmful to these drivers?

post-112624-0-02232100-1451948000_thumb.

An acoustic suspension woofer is a very compliant loudspeaker, with an heavy , low resonant cone. The movement of the cone is stopped by the air in a sealed cabinet , not by a rigid spider as in a normal loudspeaker. So, if an AR woofer is positioned in or out of its cabinet, in horizontal position, gravity tends to bring down the cone, with probably a damage for spider and suspension. Try to press gently the AR 3a woofer' s cone and then do the same thing with a rigid, lightweight , high efficiency woofer like an Altec 515 designed for bass reflex or horn loading. This one has a very rigid spider and suspension , and its large ( 16" ) cone is very light , You can store or use it vertically or horizontally, but You can' t do the same with an AR woofer . Paul W. Klipsch called acoustic suspension woofers " flapping cones " , and yes, AR 3 has a flapping cone woofer , but at 30 Hz is more efficient than a Klipschorn, LOL .

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again

Now I´ve replaced the most common Caps . Woofers are at re foaming .I´m confused over some things. First what kind of " stuffing " and how much in the LST??( someone have replaced it )

Second. If You look at the crossover before I´ve replaced the Caps, I´m wondering if they might have been replaced earlier ?? ( straps are cut )??

Third , Should I also use glue, or is it enough with straps ?

and how do I add pictures ??

from a snowy and cold Sweden

Birger

I prefer to store all my AR speakers ( two AR 3 pairs ; AR 3a ; Ar 2 ) only in vertical position . Never store a woofer in horizontal position, because of its high compliance , and remember , it's an heavy cone. And the same I prefer for midrange and tweeter , because of the delicate dome suspension. You can play Your AR speakers in vertical or horizontal, but loudspeakers must be absolutely vertical to the floor, at 90° .

That sounded like good enough advice that I just hung the woofers out of my AS-103s in a couple of Cerwin Vega cabinets I had sitting around. It will be a bit longer until I get around to refinishing the AS-103 cabinets....

post-175813-0-29496600-1452706893_thumb.

and how do I add pictures ??

from a snowy and cold Sweden

Birger

For pics, start a reply, hit the 'more reply options' button at the bottom right. New editing window with more stuff will open. You'll find an 'attach files' section under the entry window. Browsr to pick a file off your PC, then click on 'attach this file', then click on 'Add to Post.'

To escape cold snowy weather, do not move to Ohio this week. You'd have liked last week, though....

Archived