Happy Holidays

owlsplace

Well, the Mel Torme album arrived last eve on the winter soltice. The "Glow Worm" cut sounds more like a spring equinox "rite of spring" item though. Easy to see why Torme plays well on AR-3a's.

Adriano -- expecting a review on that new amp since I know you are a tube fan ;)

Buon Natale!

Roger

Thank you, Roger, and Merry Christmas to You! Well, I am pleasantly surprised by this rugged, professional iron gear. First, it' s unbelievably smooth , I use classical , chamber music, baroque to test this amp, and I have to say it sounds clean, silky, fluid and undistorted. Mid-high region is very tube-like, three-dimensional and musical. Second , the QSC gives me the best low frequencies I' ve ever heard from my AR speakers. Powerful, clean, fast, vibrating, rich . Third, with jazz and pop/rock music it seems like someone has " unveiled " the sound. This amp sounds LIVE! Micro-contrast and transparency are at sky-high levels, and the dynamic range appears infinite. This amp outperform easily every SS amp I' ve had in my home, including the excellent Crown PSA-2. The fan runs absolutely quiet , but a little breeze comes out of the front panel of the amp, funny! This amp , reliable, powerful and well sounding, and designed to drive low impedance loads could be the perfect mate for AR speakers even if it cost 5000 $ : at 550 $ it' s an absolute bargain .

Thank you, Roger, and Merry Christmas to You! Well, I am pleasantly surprised by this rugged, professional iron gear. First, it' s unbelievably smooth , I use classical , chamber music, baroque to test this amp, and I have to say it sounds clean, silky, fluid and undistorted. Mid-high region is very tube-like, three-dimensional and musical. Second , the QSC gives me the best low frequencies I' ve ever heard from my AR speakers. Powerful, clean, fast, vibrating, rich . Third, with jazz and pop/rock music it seems like someone has " unveiled " the sound. This amp sounds LIVE! Micro-contrast and transparency are at sky-high levels, and the dynamic range appears infinite. This amp outperform easily every SS amp I' ve had in my home, including the excellent Crown PSA-2. The fan runs absolutely quiet , but a little breeze comes out of the front panel of the amp, funny! This amp , reliable, powerful and well sounding, and designed to drive low impedance loads could be the perfect mate for AR speakers even if it cost 5000 $ : at 550 $ it' s an absolute bargain .

Sounds like you are pleased with the amp. It is hard to justify rebuilding some of the older amps at that price. Now, bi-amping with tube and SS gear sounds like a fun project ;)

post-116698-0-51438100-1450898091_thumb. Hello David, here are RCA/XLR adapters, very cheap and easy to use. I'm testing this amp using every cd and LP I have , including some very excellent old recordings , and it outperforms easily post-116698-0-83699400-1450902715_thumb. every amp I' ve ever had in my audiophile life. To paraphrase an old Marantz advertisement, it sounds LOUD & CLEAN. And unbelievably smooth and sweet, just like a tube amp ( I have also tubes amps! ) but with a lot of power and dynamic , and the strongest and cleanest low frequencies possible. Tom Tyson gave me the idea to try one of this pro amp to drive AR speakers, and it's worth the try. Thank you, Tom. Birger - Merry Christmas and happy New Year from sunny Italy ! Adriano

Yes, and a final Merry Christmas to all of the classy AR people here on this forum.

My Adcom 555II rebuild has survived the 12-days of non-stop Christmas music burn-in, so I guess it is good to go. Probably won't be needing an amp for awhile but will be checking out Carl's tweeter array -- always another AR project to keep my interest and wishing all of you a Happy AR New Year!

Looks like it will be a "White Christmas" here in Reno as the flurries are falling as I speak. I've spent Christmas south of the equator before and it's not quite the same, but 68 deg. F in Syracuse, NY this morning ... okay, Enjoy!

Archived