Happy Holidays

owlsplace

Well, since the weather has keep me in today I finally put the Adcom 555II back online and loaded up all my Christmas CDs into a changer and let it rip. I figure after 12-days of commercial Christmas music I'll be ready for the 12-days of "peace and quiet" holidays between Christmas and Epiphany!

Bass on the Adcom sounds much better with the bypass caps and it has no problem driving the five sets of speakers currently online.

Some interesting sequences coming out of the changer ... doesn't seem to be any rap or reggae Christmas music in there :)

My neighbors love me...

Hope everyone enjoys their holidays...

Roger

Happy Holidays to all! Merry Christmas.

Put up a tree last night and got the lights on it. Was listening to Xmas music too while doing so. Streaming the "home for the holidays" playlist from Tidal through Wharfedale W70's and my Tube gear. (No rap, hip hop or other obnoxious versions on that playlist it seems.) Don't have a fireplace in that room so the glow of the tubes will have to do!

The tree goes in my "lounge", during the holidays. Smack dab between the speakers! So, I made some big moves with most of my gear. All the large speakers and Solid State gear moved upstairs for the holidays into the large family game/fun/home theater room. They don't seem to mind the bigger room. :D

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, everyone! We got our tree over the weekend and unlike past years, the tree farm where we got it drilled a 6-inch deep central bore about 3/4" in diameter so the tree sits on a 6"-tall "spike" in the center of the stand/water holder. Nice arrangement, and much easier than the old '4-screws-pushing-support-legs-up-against-the-trunk" situation that caused me to utter many a decidedly un-good-willish comment in the past!

If the Pats should be so fortunate as to make it to the Superbowl once again, we convert the tree from Christmas tree to Pats tree during the playoffs, replacing all the Christmas ornaments with Pats ornaments.

It's worked many times before!

BTW, nothing like the Mel Tormé Christmas album on 3as!

Steve F.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, everyone! We got our tree over the weekend and unlike past years, the tree farm where we got it drilled a 6-inch deep central bore about 3/4" in diameter so the tree sits on a 6"-tall "spike" in the center of the stand/water holder. Nice arrangement, and much easier than the old '4-screws-pushing-support-legs-up-against-the-trunk" situation that caused me to utter many a decidedly un-good-willish comment in the past!

If the Pats should be so fortunate as to make it to the Superbowl once again, we convert the tree from Christmas tree to Pats tree during the playoffs, replacing all the Christmas ornaments with Pats ornaments.

Steve F.

I see "Gronk" is back so it looks like you are going to have a "Pat" tree again.

Missing the Tormé album here!

It will be interesting to see if the Sony changer survives 12-days of 24/7 ... so far only the preamp is acting up which will be on Santa's shopping list since I don't feel like working on electronics at the moment.

Oh drat! Someone put up two pairs of 4x's on the auction site which also happen to be located in my neighborhood... not enough cash flow unless Santa is a miracle worker ;)

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone from land of Santa...

I received today confirmation for shipment of my Cristmas gift... mostly LP:s from old days or otherwise oldfashioned stuff... Laslie West stlll standing on both legs, hopefully title of last Eric Burdon album is not going to be bad omen...

Eric Burdon: 'Til Your River Runs Dry
Art Pepper: Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section
Leslie West: The Leslie West Band
Antonio Carlos Jobim: The Composer Plays
Wes Montgomery. Bumpin'
Chet Baker: Chet
Juicy Lucy: Get A Whiff A This
The Rolling Stones: From The Vault - The Marquee Club Live In 1971
Paul Butterfield: The Original Lost Elektra Sessions
Oscar Peterson: Night Train
Bill Wyman:Back To Basics
Magna Carta: Lord Of The Ages

I believe that I will hear also Christmas Carols, have good time with my wife Sari and Pekka the Cat around Christmas tree. I will enclose pic of my 19 year old best friend here. Merry Christmas to everyone on this wonderfull site.

Kimmo

post-126436-0-68575800-1450105404_thumb.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all. I have enjoyed this forum immensly since discovering it. A great group of people much more knowledgable about high fidelity reproduction than I. My best to you all.

der

Happy Holidays to all.

I am having a re-appreciation of classic speakers including Advent, AR,JBL and ESS. I have made mid and treble panels with drivers from AR 58, and JBL 100/ESS , crossing around 800 hz to the Advent speaker(NAL). By tweaking the crossovers I can make them sound quite musical yet sufficiently different that I prefer one set over the other depending on the recording.

Yes, a Merry Chistmas & Happy New Year to all!

Around here, it's the Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack, the Windham Hill "Winter Solstice" LP's, and George Winston's "December".

We attended GW's solo concert at the old Philadelphia Academy Of Music in December, 1985, had 3rd row seats, and a magical experience!

Happy Holidays to all! Merry Christmas.

Put up a tree last night and got the lights on it. Was listening to Xmas music too while doing so.

Yes 'Merry Xmas Everybody'. We also put up our tree last night, playing Christmas music (including the 1973 Slade classic) as we did so. Now it really feels like Christmas is in the air.

On Christmas Eve we join in our local 'Carols on the Green' carol service with music provided by the Bournville Carillon. Very poignant service last year marking the 100th anniversary of the WW1 Christmas truce.

https://www.bvt.org.uk/news-and-events/carillon-to-join-worldwide-concert-to-mark-ww1-christmas-truce/

And another "Happy Holidays" to all!

Enjoying our Christmas tree and assorted decorations despite the 68 degree weather here in northern NJ!

We've been listening to Pandora's "Jazz Holidays" station via internet radio on the Onkyo receiver. Good stuff. And we're going through the Christmas movie collection.

Very poignant service last year marking the 100th anniversary of the WW1 Christmas truce.

Jeff's comment reminds me: If you haven't seen "Joyeux Noel" it's a good film about the 1914 Christmas truce.

cheers!

Kent

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to eveyone at CSP :)

I'm enjoying the warmer than normal temps here too. Got a Christmas round of golf in last Friday....than was very enjoyable.

Been playing various Christmas play lists and albums.

Peace (under the tree and) on earth.

Give regards under the tree from Pekka the Cat. World simply can not be bad if you look under the tree and Pekka. Mankind does have something to learn from these little fellows.

Best Regards

Kimmo

post-126436-0-34516200-1450156719_thumb.

And another "Happy Holidays" to all!....

Jeff's comment reminds me: If you haven't seen "Joyeux Noel" it's a good film about the 1914 Christmas truce.

cheers!

Kent

Loved that movie ... quite a contrast to the "Christmas from Hell" otherwise known as the "Battle of the Bulge" thirty years later.

Found another stash of Xmas CDs so over twelve days of Christmas 24/7 we never have to hear a selection more than four times ;)

Yes, a Merry Chistmas & Happy New Year to all!

Around here, it's the Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack, the Windham Hill "Winter Solstice" LP's, and George Winston's "December".

We attended GW's solo concert at the old Philadelphia Academy Of Music in December, 1985, had 3rd row seats, and a magical experience!

Ah, yeah, forgot about GW -- have that one and "Winter Soltice IV" plus I think Jesse Norman's "Amazing Grace" fits the season, certainly more than Händel's Easter oratorio which gets performed around here every year about this time, putting the sequence up to about 82 discs. Still ten days to go so maybe I will try to flush out a copy of the "Velvet Fog's" tomé in time for Xmas -- if you can call a songbook a tome.

On Telarc even: http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Songs-Mel-Torme/dp/B000003CQI?tag=duckduckgo-ffcm-20

DavidR and other members too...

There is "Christmas story" behind Pekka. Pekka has been mistreted early in his life, but he got very fine home in our neighbourhood where he lived happily for maybe 15 years.

Pekka used to visit our house occasionally for year or two. On Christmas Eve, two years ago, his landlady was calling Pekka. I said to her that Pekka is in our house and I will ask Pekka to go home. This nice old lady told me that I sholuld not allow Pekka to go inside our house. So... I went inside and Pekka went outside. For some reason Pekka never got inside house where his landlady lives, instead he was soon scartching and knocking our living room window for hour or two. After drinking bottle of redwine, I decided that there is no reason to punish Pekka for choosing where to visit and I opened the door. Ever since Pekka has stayed with us.

I suppose Pekka is now about 19 years old. He has some age related health problems, but I think that he is living happpy life and is free to go where he likes. We of course take care of his healt seriously. His dental problems were cured last summer. He was x-rayed and othervise examined month ago... so he got help to his osteoarthritis problems and for not perfectly working kidneys.

Anyway... Pekka has been jolly good friend to me and great relief for my wife... and I suppose Pekka has also enjoyed his time here. I surely hope that he will be able to spend many Christmases with us.

Merry Christmas

Kimmo

post-126436-0-75478500-1450266760_thumb.

Steve F.

Day seven of non-stop 24/7 Christmas music. Visited the local thrifts and a used bookstore to round up the rotation to 100 discs -- well, Mel Tormé is still in the mail -- had to order that one.

I can't think of any other time I would listen to so many different genres of music at once without driving everyone crazy ;)

Miraculously, the Sony changer hasn't glitched and the preamp stopped dropping out the right channel (got a bigger hammer).

Joyeux Noël à tous :)
Roger

post-116698-0-27639300-1450773527_thumb.post-116698-0-64597300-1450773567_thumb.post-116698-0-09668500-1450773601_thumb.Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all the people of CSP ! And let me show my Christmas gift to my AR speakers - a QSC pro amp designed to drive 2-ohm load ! Thanks for the suggestion, TysonTom. Best wishes, Adriano

attachicon.gifQSC-1.jpgattachicon.gifQSC-2.jpgattachicon.gifQSC-3.jpgMerry Christmas and Happy New Year to all the people of CSP ! And let me show my Christmas gift to my AR speakers - a QSC pro amp designed to drive 2-ohm load ! Thanks for the suggestion, TysonTom. Best wishes, Adriano

Very nice - enjoy!

der

post-116698-0-96399100-1450811824_thumb.post-116698-0-31303900-1450811980_thumb.Hello der, I read that You have an AR Xa with a Jelco arm. Two weeks ago I bought a Rotel RP900 with a beautiful arm , and someone says it's a clone of Rega planar 2 with a Jelco sa-50 arm. I have a Thorens TD 125 with Grace G-707 arm , but this Rotel it's a very good sounding turntable, just a little sensitivity to rumble if positioned too close to AR 3a speakers. What kind of Jelco arm do You have ? And Your opinion? post-116698-0-68196900-1450812112_thumb. Thank You and my best wishes . Adriano

Archived