AR-3T

owlsplace

Very interesting. I've been watching for a pair of AR-3st super tweeters but have never even heard of the 3t. Obviously very early, intended for use with the AR-1 or 1W. Wonder what's inside. Maybe TT can enlighten us.

-Kent

Very interesting. I've been watching for a pair of AR-3st super tweeters but have never even heard of the 3t. Obviously very early, intended for use with the AR-1 or 1W. Wonder what's inside. Maybe TT can enlighten us.

-Kent

The AR-3t ("tweeter," including the 2-inch and 1-⅜-inch mid and tweeter) and AR-3st ("super tweeter," including the 1-⅜-inch tweeter only) came out together in 1959. The AR-3t was intended to be used with the AR-1W, making it an AR-3; the AR-3st was intended to be used with the AR-2, making it an AR-2a or for extending the treble on the AR-1 itself. Prompting this application was the fairly widespread use of the JansZen 130 electrostatic tweeter with the AR-1W. By the time all of this sorted out, the AR-3 and AR-2a were dominating the market place, and the two-piece setups were declining in popularity. The AR-1W/JansZen setup continued to be a reference system for many serious music-lovers, however, and some systems are still in use.

post-100160-0-15456100-1444150629_thumb.

AR-3t and AR-3st ad (and brochure) from approximately 1962

—Tom Tyson

• 1 month later...

Am very curious about the purpose for these extensive cabinet slots on the AR-3t, which houses both midrange and tweeter drivers. The AR-3st, with tweeter only and a smaller cabinet, does not have any such slots. The initial thought about the slots would be to serve for ventilation as a release of heat build-up, or do they possibly serve some purpose for acoustical performance? It is difficult for me to imagine that the midrange driver would create significant heat, and even if so, what happens to this heat when same midrange is enclosed in a sealed cabinet (i.e. AR-3)?

Archived