AR3 unfinished pine ones. For now...

Turbon

Decisions decisions...

The black paint on the baffle what would you use today? It seems more like ink than paint...

Regards

Hi Turbon!

What a great pair of speakers to start your AR addiction!

I have repaired several of these tweeters with domes like yours. I used Aileen's tacky glue. It's a white glue that dries clear and stays a bit flexible. I put a small amount around the perimeter of the dome, then pushed it down to it's original position. I used a small dense piece of foam rubber placed on the dome and weighted with a small weight to hold it down in place while the glue dried. They all sound fine.

let us know how you like their sound once you have them singing again.

Glenn

• 1 month later...
On ‎2016‎-‎04‎-‎01 at 5:25 PM, Turbon said:

Hi Ronan.

Thanks, I gave an offer. Those need some restoration before they can be used ;) Rusty an filthy...

Regards

Sorry to say that even though we agreed on a price I had to leave the scene due to other obligations that suddenly needed financing. So - out in the market again :(... I really want to hear the originals first. I saw that they went for about 30$ in the relisting a few weeks back :/ I would happily have given 100$ but the timing didn't fit!

But my HiVi's and XO components arrived so I have something to work with if originals don't show up. I have strolled between giving them a finish or leave them as is with a light sanding... The sanding has to be done anyway so I'll decide after that. Spring is late in Sweden as it's usually unpredictable but the weekend after this might be the one when I'll start to sand the first one if the sun shows it's lovely face.

Regards

The black paint on the baffle - what would one use that is compatible with the original?

Shellac maybe?

I started to ponder on the X-over components. I bougth 4*12uF and 2*6uF Jantzen Cross Caps. They are more or less spot on all of them measured with my Der-EE5000 LCR at 1khz. So the tweeter caps are a bit to big (about 6.2 uF which is less than 5% over spec) which will result in lowering the XO point a bit. I haven't digged in on how much yet. The bass coil measured in at 0.421 mH at 100Hz.

The pots was already cleaned but I took them apart and applied something named Kontakt PRF 7--78 with an earbud. They looked quite clean both before and after. What amazed me when I took the speakers out from their hide was that the tweeters still hold their shape!!! One of them was popped when I bought the speakers. Experimented a bit but thought that they won't last. Surely their distinctiveness have changed a bit but I will leave them in to begin with.

The mid where the metal mesh was loose and rusty looks usable and holding together nicely.

Still undecided on if to give them a skinn of laquer or not... I do not consider them as investments. Not yet anyway so maybe when that question Is settled in my mind I will be ready to take a decision. It won't alter the sound after all :)

Pictures are of course a necessity :)

Regards

ar3_pots.JPG

ar3_tweeter.JPG

ar3_mid.JPG

Oh yes, forgot to ask. There is something called plastic wood in different colours. Would it be Ok to apply it for the deeper dents and then give a light sanding? Does anyone have experience with the stuff when it cones to pine? I have used it on oak and it blended in quite nicely.

Regards

I found a pair of tweeters but one of them seems to be broken so I ended in a dispute with the seller. One was presumably ok - 2-3 ohms but the other one measured in at 5 ohms - way out of spec I think. Should I pay 150$ for the pair? Hmm. Well - I didn't. Bought a single one instead. Poked at the yellow stuff of the one I glued and it have become quite soft after contact with the bicycle repair glue. Very flexible indeed - for good or bad. I do not have a clue as I wasn't ready for measuring a working one against the glued one electrically. Closing in on the matter now. During the summer I will get me a microphone.

Regards

Made the decision at last :D. I have diyed the first one with the same die I have used for all Ikea shelves in the basement. Pics will follow in a while as I have little time now and next week. As far I have got them - Yes - they are mine ?

Regards

2 hours ago, Turbon said:

Made the decision at last :D. I have diyed the first one with the same die I have used for all Ikea shelves in the basement. Pics will follow in a while as I have little time now and next week. As far I have got them - Yes - they are mine ?

Regards

Sounds like you are having fun.

About any flat black paint will work for the baffle. Not sure if this is available at your location:

Paint.flatblack.png

Or find some black pigment and make your own ... most of us are too lazy to make our own.

Roger

Archived