Garage Sale Season

DavidDru

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

to JeffS.... I hope you can salvage some of those suspicious tweeters - - that sounds like an unusually high (and unfortunate) percentage of non-functioning drivers. The tweeter cone separation you have witnessed is not all that uncommon, but can be easily repaired if care is exercised - - see below for a particularly ugly one that looks much better now and is working just fine. Post a few more pics when you can.

4x tweeter peel.jpg

On 7/5/2016 at 8:12 PM, stupidhead said:

that's exactly what I thought after reading the story!

nice pickup by the way. any other bootie?

Geoff,

The seller showed me a Harman Kardon amp from the fifties, possibly a Trend II. He also had an early sixties pair of Wharfedales, and a pair of Electro- Voice two ways (EV-5C) that were very clean. All I brought home were the AR's.

On 7/5/2016 at 8:25 PM, ra.ra said:

to JeffS.... I hope you can salvage some of those suspicious tweeters - - that sounds like an unusually high (and unfortunate) percentage of non-functioning drivers. The tweeter cone separation you have witnessed is not all that uncommon, but can be easily repaired if care is exercised - - see below for a particularly ugly one that looks much better now and is working just fine. Post a few more pics when you can.

4x tweeter peel.jpg

ra.ra,

That is what two of the four tweeters look like, and one of those is open. I'll be digging into these a little more this weekend if time allows. Another odd thing I noticed is that all of the woofers spring back almost instantly when pressed, unlike the 12" models which take a second or more to return.

Except for the dead tweeter, you should be able to re-adhere those separated cones - - try to remove all extraneous glue and clean the metal surface to get a strong bond - - I think I just used a good white glue with these two shown here. The woofer in the 4x has a vented dust cap (look closely!) which allows some air to pass, so you will not get the same delayed rebound that you've mentioned with the airtight 12" woofer.  

4x tweets restored.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just stopped by Denver Mile High Flea Market this morning, saw a pair of the AR 58B for sale $30 bucks, Since I collected only AR3s/3a/4/4x, with all these that is enough killing all my leisure time so I passed it.. ( no buy for me any thing today..)

14103056_1795754537370715_4189509840537251606_o.jpg14053733_1795754614037374_4435819119451523422_o.jpg

1 hour ago, owlsplace said:

Great price on those even with the necessary work.

If you see some 58s' grab them for me ;)

Roger

Oh sure Owlsplace, I can grab it and keeping it for you to come picking up...  otherwise 49 pounds a piece , shipping is an other stories.. ;)

17 hours ago, Liangshan Marsh said:

Oh sure Owlsplace, I can grab it and keeping it for you to come picking up...  otherwise 49 pounds a piece , shipping is an other stories.. ;)

Colorado road trips are always fun ... looks like the flea market may be worth the trip by itself ;)

Archived