Garage Sale Season

DavidDru

My friend lived in Oakland, CA  that went to Flea Market and getting big score today, $250 for both pairs 2ax and AR2a ( unfinished pine)

EDT: I m personal here in Denver,CO, were in the Migh High Flea Market yesterday with no luck, missed the 197x Fisher 2010 studio standard wood case receiver $25 bucks, (when I stepped in the sale space lots, the guy left with the receiver.. ). Later I got this THING for $50 will hang it on the speaker's wall room later... My friend was better getting the JBL C56 dorian, roughly cabinets, good working driver for $50..  will be there again every Sunday tracing for vintage speakers and the receiver.

viber image.jpg

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, ar_pro said:

Nice catch!

I believe I have spotted the elusive Sansui 9090DB, as well. ^_^

9090.JPG

Yeah!  ar_pro

He got lucky today, in right place and right time, a lot, a lot collector and re-seller wandering , searching for vintage, electronic stuffs around all the time, But by the time the truck was being unloaded the items, he was passing by, spotting the AR pairs and bought it.

*** Very good sight ar_pro, you missed the power ball number but still were winning the bonus five numbers... Yup that is the Sansui 9090 , not DB..  :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2015 at 1:17 AM, owlsplace said:

Not a garage sale find but since I was in the neighborhood picking up a washing machine I stopped at the local Goodwill Bargain Bin. As I walked in I spotted a Denon D200 system piled up in a heap -- amp, tuner, cassette and cd player. I decided I needed to save it from being trashed any further so I left with it for $7. No remote and one control cable was missing but hey .... The cd player loads but doesn't cue up. Tuner and amp work and it will take me awhile to find a cassette to test that function :) 1992 retail was $1,500 according to one site. It is definitely a pleasing set to look at.

I had a DVD-VCR combo whose optical drive wouldn't cue up either.  Cleaning every lens surface I could get to didn't help.  I was able to find a replacement diode ass'y for around $80.  Not hard to replace but required a gentle touch.  DVD works perfectly now.  In case you were interested in getting yours working.

15 minutes ago, Kip said:

I had a DVD-VCR combo whose optical drive wouldn't cue up either.  Cleaning every lens surface I could get to didn't help.  I was able to find a replacement diode ass'y for around $80.  Not hard to replace but required a gentle touch.  DVD works perfectly now.  In case you were interested in getting yours working.

Kip,

Parts are out there for some of this old stuff. I haven't found the missing ribbon cable yet. The CD player in the Denon D200 set requires you to load the cd's upside down. It actually works play fine once this is done. Haven't decided what to do with this set yet.

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

I never find stuff like that. All I scored was a pair of AR94S with one blown woofer for $20. All other drivers were good. The big bonus was no pushed in domes on the tweeters.

From the above pictures: what's with the 901 drivers in those cabinets? There are 12. The originals were wired in three sets of three in series and then paralleled.

There was a speaker in the early 1970's called the "Array 12." All full-range drivers. I think those are them. I don't remember much about the company who made them and a quick Google search didn't give me any info. But I distinctly remember a BAS meeting I went to in the fall of 1975 and there were both AR-3a's and Array 12's there, demo'ing whatever it was we were listening to that night.

BTW, those are probably CTS 4 1/2-inch full-range drivers, popular back then. IIRC, the 901 Series I and II used those drivers. Certainly the Series I did.

Steve F.

1 minute ago, Liangshan Marsh said:

This Estate Sale is up coming 7/7, there is a vintage speaker cabinets1a.jpg2a.jpg built in tube amp with 9 driving woofers... Any one knew what is brand of its, worth for collection. Thanks for any suggestion.

Looks like it may be a mono amp. The driver motors are small but I'm guessing it could be a 60w push/pull class B amp... 50's dance hall rig?

Roger

About the pics I posted. The Allison Two's were in pretty good shape, but of course needed the usual re-foam, missing grilles, and some mild cabinet refinishing. From visual inspection only, possibly one tweeter required repair or replacement but all other drivers looked very good. The asking price for the pair was very reasonable but they did not sell, tho' the seller told me later when he dropped something off at my house that he might have someone "interested".

On the four matching boxes with twelve identical drivers, Steve might be onto something with this Array 12 idea, but I just don't know. I did not examine them too closely but suspected the drivers were very similar to the original Bose 901. Purportedly, these speakers were salvaged from the locally renown Orson Welles Cinema, which closed in 1986 after a fire which originated in the popcorn machine, which was long after the tenure of Tommy Lee Jones, the theater's first house manager while he attended Harvard.

I really liked the beauty and simplicity of the Heathkit tube tuner, as well as the cast iron shoe form being used as a paperweight atop its manual. Also, those Advent 300 receivers have always appealed to me. At these flea markets, it is interesting to meet the people that know all about the history and function of all of these gadgets. Just a few other random pics, including some non-audio items:

Allison Two 3.jpg

metronome?.jpg

paymaster.jpg

Realistic.jpg

digital.jpg

commodore.jpg

Oooooh. The Digital Equipment PDP8/M!

I almost bought one of these at the giant Baltimore-area hamfest about 20 years ago. As I recall, it was a blistering-hot day, my wife was already frowning, and I probably didn't feel like lugging it back to the Jeep. That hamfest had everything: uber-expensive equipment from Data General, IBM, and DEC; it must've had something to do with the proximity to the Beltway, and the federal infrastructure.

Hah!.......I knew someone would recognize these dinosaurs. One of the interesting things about DEC (from Maynard) is that they moved into at least one of the buildings (111 Powder Mill Road) formerly occupied by H.H. Scott. 

ra.ra - was this at the MIT flea market?  I tried it out once and the best thing I saw was a pair of beat up AR 2A's, I think.

And what toy did the man drop off at your house???

It was a beautiful day, glad you came across so many interesting things.

On 6/27/2016 at 9:36 PM, Steve F said:

There was a speaker in the early 1970's called the "Array 12." All full-range drivers. I think those are them. I don't remember much about the company who made them and a quick Google search didn't give me any info. But I distinctly remember a BAS meeting I went to in the fall of 1975 and there were both AR-3a's and Array 12's there, demo'ing whatever it was we were listening to that night.

BTW, those are probably CTS 4 1/2-inch full-range drivers, popular back then. IIRC, the 901 Series I and II used those drivers. Certainly the Series I did.

Steve F.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, 901_I and II used CTS drivers. Rola also supplied drivers for some series II.

CTS on top, Rola on the bottom. Both came from series II 901's

CT driver.jpg

Rola driver.jpg

DavidR, nice pics of the Bose drivers - - do those both have cloth surrounds?

alkermes, yep, flea at MIT, third Sunday of the month, April to November. It's always hit-or-miss, but usually fun even when the pickin's are slim. I was on bicycle 6 miles from home and had very limited cargo capacity, but the seller happened to live nearby and offered home delivery for a pair of wood veneer AR-7's in good condition. Cabs, grilles and badges are all getting a mild facelift; original blue 6uF Sprague caps measure spot on; early tweeters are in excellent shape; and woofers get new foams in the next few days. Not so easy to find, and since I love the small AR's, I snatched 'em. 

Last Friday I came across an estate / barn sale on craigslist where the seller had a couple of tube receivers (Fisher, Kenwood), a tube amp (Scott), and a Fisher tube console for sale, among other things. The pictures didn't offer a lot of detail but I was able to identify the Fisher receiver by knob count. I was about an hours drive away and I wasn't sure if I wanted to go, but it kept eating at me, and knowing that where there's smoke there's fire (sometimes!), I took the drive down Keuka Lake on a perfect summer day.

I was standing in the barn looking over the tube equipment (all in restoration shape and needing tubes) when I looked up at a shelf on the wall with a variety of cabinets and spotted the bottom panels of four AR-4x's. One pair in unfinished pine, the other in oiled walnut. I asked if they were for sale and now they're mine. Condition is a little rough but the cabinets are all restorable. I plan to restore / keep the pine units so hopefully there are enough working parts for a pair. I sanded one of the pine cabinets already and it cleaned up nicely. Four AR-4x's on the 4th of July weekend!AR-4x as found 7-01-16.jpg

after sanding.jpg

AR-4x pairs.jpg

Four 4's on the 4th - - - that's a great theme, and hey, congrats!...... those all look very respectable and good candidates for restoration. I'm sure you'll do well with these, but I'd like to suggest you set your sights a little higher and think about getting all four speakers up and running - - - 4x parts are not difficult to obtain and it appears you may have a solid foundation to restore two pairs at the same time, or in sequence as time/money/parts allow.

Thanks ra.ra and Roger.

22 hours ago, ra.ra said:

4x parts are not difficult to obtain and it appears you may have a solid foundation to restore two pairs at the same time, or in sequence as time/money/parts allow.

And that's what I probably do. My initial check showed one woofer not operating and three tweeters out. I confirmed the first tweeter I pulled as open and I'm hoping that at least one of the remaining two is OK and just a corroded pot. Two of the four tweeter cones are separated at their outer edge from the flange which I should be able to glue as long as they're operational. I'd never seen that before. The first pot I opened is corroded but restorable. I'm excited about restoring the unfinished pine pair simply because I have no AR's in that finish.

When we pulled the 4x's off the shelf I could see the back of a Dynaco A25. They had been painted black and had one non-OEM woofer so I passed (clean unpainted pairs are easy enough to come by).

8 hours ago, DavidDru said:

Okay, but what about the tube amps?

The Fisher was a 500B receiver and if it was operational and had a good set of knobs I might have bought it. There was one HH Scott mono amp, my best guess is a model 250 since I couldn't find the model number, that was fairly clean but needed tubes and a restore.

Archived