AR Spotted At Antique Radio Flea Market

ar_pro

We made it up to the Antique Radio Show in Kutztown, PA this afternoon - this is a 3-day event held in a great outdoor setting at Renninger's Antique Market.

These shows are in May & September, and draw radio & audio enthusiasts from all over the country; and because there's no computer equipment, or new merchandise, every table seems to have something of interest.

My son and I spotted 2 1/3 AR-10pi speakers (see the photo for an explanation), as well as two pairs of AR-MST's, a lone AR-1W, and the seldom-seen KLH Twelve systems. There were also a number of AR-2's and AR-4 varieties, and that terrible iteration of the AR turntable covered in simulated woodgrain vinyl - yipes!

On the sponsoring club table was a great-looking AR amplifier & tuner with walnut cases, but not for sale.

I came away with some vintage "Audio" magazines and an armload of vinyl, and I almost sprung for one of those cool white plastic Advent radios with the big tuning knob; he grabbed a nice-looking McIntosh preamp that needs a little TLC, and an old Infinity pop & click de-noiser.

post-100370-0-54859400-1431137097_thumb.

post-100370-0-88168600-1431137112_thumb.

post-100370-0-43904700-1431137120_thumb.

post-100370-0-05228600-1431137127_thumb.

post-100370-0-47255100-1431137135_thumb.

It is sometimes difficult to maintain a focused eye when lost amid a huge flea market, but you have provided an excellent report to the AR (and KLH) faithful. Sadly, I will be blasting right by there on the interstate tomorrow, but this trip has no schedule slot for a full afternoon of enjoyable hunting under the big tents. Many thanks for the post.

Owlsplace,

I wish I would have recognized you when you stopped by our table. My son and I drove down from upstate NY to sell (and shop). He had the 10 pi's and MST's for sale. On the MST's, one pair had drivers, the other pair didn't. Asked $125 for all but no takers. Did sell a pair of Dynaco A25's though.

Missed the AR-2's and 4's. Did stop and listen to the KLH twelves. We were walking around and happened to be at the table when the gentleman set the 1W on it. I almost bit but it had too many issues for the price. It's a great show and we always spot stuff that rarely shows up at other flea markets.

Owlsplace,

I wish I would have recognized you when you stopped by our table. My son and I drove down from upstate NY to sell (and shop). He had the 10 pi's and MST's for sale. On the MST's, one pair had drivers, the other pair didn't. Asked $125 for all but no takers. Did sell a pair of Dynaco A25's though.

Missed the AR-2's and 4's. Did stop and listen to the KLH twelves. We were walking around and happened to be at the table when the gentleman set the 1W on it. I almost bit but it had too many issues for the price. It's a great show and we always spot stuff that rarely shows up at other flea markets.

Well, I used to hang out in upstate NY many years ago but I don't make it out that way anymore. I probably would have taken the MST's and started the search for midrange drivers and thrown some Hi-Vi tweeters in the mix if I was there. Lucky for my pocket book I'm out west in the AR diaspora ;)

Roger

Edit: see #8 below

ar_pro

Time to upgrade the reading glasses so that I can reply to the right person / post.

My son was happy to see the interest in the 10 pi's. He did a great job of repairing and restoring the cabinets and used them for ~10 years. It was interesting to see the larger speakers at the show but they didn't seem to be selling. I don't if if you saw it but on Friday afternoon a gentleman from New Jersey backed into a spot very close to where the AR-1W was set up and playing. He opened the back of his vehicle to reveal a JBL C34 (that took up most of the rear of his small SUV), the type of speaker the AR's eventually replaced.

Roger,

You're absolutely right! Lots of eye candy.

Those rare MST's look rather nice, and I was pleased to see them sitting on a slab of styrofoam instead of directly on the asphalt pavement, but I did not understand Roger's comments in post 5, since this model has no real midrange driver and the Hi-Vi's will not fit without serious modifications.

But the AR-1w ....... why does this single driver speaker have three wire terminals on the rear?

Those rare MST's look rather nice, and I was pleased to see them sitting on a slab of styrofoam instead of directly on the asphalt pavement, but I did not understand Roger's comments in post 5, since this model has no real midrange driver and the Hi-Vi's will not fit without serious modifications.

But the AR-1w ....... why does this single driver speaker have three wire terminals on the rear?

Oops! Guess I was thinking of the LST II ... never having been up close and personal with any of these you will have to pardon me on that one. I wasn't aware of a 2-way version in that cabinet style which makes them slightly more interesting. Was the MST a short-lived design compromise made to solve the limited power-handling ability of the Classic-era tweeters. The question has probably has been covered here before and I don't expect to see any of them out this way :blink:

Roger

I sorta thought maybe you were thinking of the LST-II, and yes, the MST (Miniature Studio Transducer) is a bit of an odd bird, and an imperfect one at that. It may have been the final model sporting the familiar walnut veneer and off-white linen grille cloth. By this point, however, I think all of these 1-1/4" tweeters included the ferrofluid which made them able to handle some higher output amplifiers.

I drove right by Kutztown twice this weekend and it's a good thing I did not stop - - at Jeff's price mentioned in post 4, that's a very tempting sale, but the car was packed so tight with my daughter's college belongings, I would have had to jettison a couple of suitcases or two boxes of boots or books in order to fit them in the vehicle. :lol:

ra.ra - according to the AR-1W label:

The input terminals are 1 & 3.

Terminals 1 & 2 are normally strapped for 4 ohm operation.

The label recommends removing the strap for 8 ohm operation when the cabinet is "mounted unfavorably".

Does anyone have an AR-1 schematic, or the original instructions?

JeffS - we thought the 10pi's were very cool; you hardly ever see them around - ditto for the MST.

A few years back, I bought a pair of AR-90's for $150 from a man who'd just bought them from one of the sellers for $75.

I offered him a quick flip, and he took the deal.

The Kutztown shows have provided us with a lot of fun: assorted AR XA turntables, an AR tuner, $50 AR-3's (!), JansZen 130's, a KLH 21 radio, and the little KLH tuner.

Archived