AR3a - Need help on crossovers and L-Pads

VintageMan

In about 2 weeks I will start rebuilding 2 sets of AR3a's.

The 2 sets are:

- AR3a (later model, same woofers as the Improved)

- AR3a Improved

As I have to re-foam 4 woofers and replace 4 potentiometers it is logical that I have a look at the crossovers and replace the capacitors.

Capacitors

Reading the AR3 restoration doc I get a little lost on what to get as replacement capacitors.

Others say to me that I should leave the crossovers alone.

On this forum there are enough people with knowledge and people who have replaced capacitors in AR3a crossovers so I'm hoping on a complete shopping-list :rolleyes:

Or should I leave them as they are?

Potentiometers / L-Pads

The other thing are L-Pads.

I'm not going to restore the 4 potentiometers in the first set AR3a's but replace them with L-Pads.

The AR3a Improved has none so there is no worry there.

I have read that using an L-Pad requires an additional resistor, others say it is not needed.

As I do not want to re-open my AR3a's after putting them back together again I would like to hear some opinions on what to do.

Thanks in advance for any advice and/or thoughts :)

I cleaned my pots but a couple still didn't work correctly. I installed L-pads without resistors. I replaced my caps with new sourced for Carlspeak. I used duct seal sourced from Lowes to reseal my cabinets. My woofers have cloth surrounds and even though I had sealer left over from another project the woofers didn't need it.

I am happy with the choices I made and the sound of my speakers. It's unlikely that I'll have them apart again in what's left of my lifetime. I'm lucky that both my tweeters still have good output but that could change of course.

der

I cleaned my pots but a couple still didn't work correctly. I installed L-pads without resistors

OK, if ordered the L-pads today from a store in The Netherlands.

I replaced my caps with new sourced for Carlspeak. I used duct seal sourced from Lowes to reseal my cabinets. My woofers have cloth surrounds and even though I had sealer left over from another project the woofers didn't need it.

I'm looking for the right brand and value for the caps. Is there a list somewhere or I can order them from Carlspeak directly?

I am happy with the choices I made and the sound of my speakers. It's unlikely that I'll have them apart again in what's left of my lifetime. I'm lucky that both my tweeters still have good output but that could change of course.

der

All my drivers still make normal sounds, both sets.

Carlspeck is a member of this site. He has a website - http://www.classicloudspeakerservices.com/ There's also a very fine tutorial on this site about refurbishing the AR3a. Cap values are listed in the tutorial - http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=4095 You can buy your own caps from a variety of online sources. I got mine from Carl and he includes instructions and schematics.

Hope that helps.

der

OK, the values are 6uF for the tweeters, 50uF for the mids, and 150uF for the woofers. Some one can correct me if I'm wrong. Since I don't live in Europe I'm not sure where you can source capacitors. Parts Express is a favorite here in the the US.

der

OK, the values are 6uF for the tweeters, 50uF for the mids, and 150uF for the woofers. Some one can correct me if I'm wrong. Since I don't live in Europe I'm not sure where you can source capacitors. Parts Express is a favorite here in the the US.

der

I have a source for these.

In the past I have restored other filters so I will contact them and have them advice me what to buy.

Hi VintageMan,

If you're looking for L-Pads on this side of the pond (Europe) may I suggest :- http://www.amazon.it/dp/B00J32RJU0/ref=pe_386201_37038291_TE_3p_dp_1

The shaft on the L-pad is probably too long, in which case I suggest you mount the L-Pad internally on some spacer (block of wood appropriately drilled to accept the shaft and compensate for the additional length.)

The resistors for the L-Pad can be found at Falcon Acoustics in the UK. Last word, given that you're in Europe....if the grilles need renewing then I'd advise :- http://www.casacenina.com/permin-of-copenhagen/linen-18ct-lambswool-variegated.html This linen seems to be a very close match to the original fabric.

Good luck.

Hi VintageMan,

If you're looking for L-Pads on this side of the pond (Europe) may I suggest :- http://www.amazon.it/dp/B00J32RJU0/ref=pe_386201_37038291_TE_3p_dp_1

The shaft on the L-pad is probably too long, in which case I suggest you mount the L-Pad internally on some spacer (block of wood appropriately drilled to accept the shaft and compensate for the additional length.)

The resistors for the L-Pad can be found at Falcon Acoustics in the UK. Last word, given that you're in Europe....if the grilles need renewing then I'd advise :- http://www.casacenina.com/permin-of-copenhagen/linen-18ct-lambswool-variegated.html This linen seems to be a very close match to the original fabric.

Good luck.

Thanks!

I will look at the linnen for my AR3 later serie as it has its grill but no fabric.

Thanks to Kent and RoyC I have all the info needed to rebuild the crossovers.

Kent has ordered the parts for me after consulting with RoyC.

It turned out that the correct value's where not available in The Netherlands so they have to come from the US.

Also the L-Pads will come via Kent.

Now it is just a matter of waiting for the parts to arrive so I can start rebuilding.

The planning is to do 2 sets (AR3a later series and AR3a Improved) in one day.

4 woofers will get new surrounds as well as 4 crossovers will get new caps.

Thanks to Kent and RoyC I have all the info needed to rebuild the crossovers.

Kent has ordered the parts for me after consulting with RoyC.

It turned out that the correct value's where not available in The Netherlands so they have to come from the US.

Also the L-Pads will come via Kent.

Now it is just a matter of waiting for the parts to arrive so I can start rebuilding.

The planning is to do 2 sets (AR3a later series and AR3a Improved) in one day.

4 woofers will get new surrounds as well as 4 crossovers will get new caps.

Good show :)

• 2 weeks later...

Update

Today was a little my Birthday!

Not only because a large box arrived but also because Kent wished me a Happy Birthday :lol:

The "new" woofer for the Improved arrived in this box forwarded by Kent.

Not only the woofer arrived but also all the parts needed to restore the crossovers for one set AR3a and the AR3a Improved set!

4 L-pads to replace the Pots.

And yes, I will install the additional resistor but only add the resistor to the midrange on advice from RoyC.

I've also got the schema's for both these crossovers from Kent.

In 2 weeks I will be working on both sets and hope to get them finished in one day (with help).

The surrounds will also be replaced on both sets.

Kent, thanks again for you great help!

post-175571-0-29159500-1432208542_thumb.

Kent, thanks again for you great help!

My pleasure! Great thing about this hobby is the great people we meet--people like you who live far away and I'd never have known were it not for classic speakers!

Have fun and be sure to post photos!

And Happy Un-Birthday!

-Kent

Archived