AR-6 Unfinished Pine orphaned pair arrived today

owlsplace

Nice snag - - I suspect that is going to be one satisfying haul of speakers. Definitely one pair of Euro-style cabs, but it appears from the tags (and grille cloth) that all four might have been produced in Europe. Clearly, there are two distinct versions of crossovers, so the big unanswered question is still about the drivers. In fairness, the seller did attempt to disclose some information, and w/o pics it can always be a crapshoot, but still I'm willing to make an optimistic prediction that all drivers are original and at worst, you may need one replacement tweeter.

I can see quadrophonic Quadrophenia in your future.

post-112624-0-91349200-1426870553_thumb.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice snag - - I suspect that is going to be one satisfying haul of speakers. Definitely one pair of Euro-style cabs, but it appears from the tags (and grille cloth) that all four might have been produced in Europe. Clearly, there are two distinct versions of crossovers, so the big unanswered question is still about the drivers. In fairness, the seller did attempt to disclose some information, and w/o pics it can always be a crapshoot, but still I'm willing to make an optimistic prediction that all drivers are original and at worst, you may need one replacement tweeter.

I can see quadrophonic Quadrophenia in your future.

attachicon.gifquad.jpg

That's pretty optimistic. The cabs look decent if they show up here in the same shape it will be nice. A rear shot looks like one crossover board is out-of-place. Not sure what's going on there.

The AR-5's I got in Germany in '74 had the darker colored grills, same as the pair on the right above.

Quadrophenia, hey, I'm game -- I put it in the Netflix queue :)

The obvious elephant-in-the-room here is the condition of the drivers, and my comment is trying to put an optimistic spin on this transaction and send a positive vibe to the UPS gods en route to Nevada. The mis-aligned crossover panel caught my eye as well, but I think the assembler simply had an extra beer at lunch on that day. It may very well be possible to pull those nasty staples and break the glue in order to re-center the panel, but it might not be worth the effort.

Since you were not enamored with the first foams you received from MSound, I would suggest you try the alternate 8" foams that McPeak offers that RoyC has evaluated and recommended. I have tried both, and believe that they each achieve excellent performance, but as I have stated, the JBL/Bose foam is much easier to install.

None of us will ever surpass KlausDK from Denmark as the ultimate AR-6 aficionado, but here's to you (clink-clink) for reaching the half dozen (6x6), three-pair level of collection.

post-112624-0-42440900-1426902795_thumb.

The obvious elephant-in-the-room here is the condition of the drivers, and my comment is trying to put an optimistic spin on this transaction and send a positive vibe to the UPS gods en route to Nevada. The mis-aligned crossover panel caught my eye as well, but I think the assembler simply had an extra beer at lunch on that day. It may very well be possible to pull those nasty staples and break the glue in order to re-center the panel, but it might not be worth the effort.

Since you were not enamored with the first foams you received from MSound, I would suggest you try the alternate 8" foams that McPeak offers that RoyC has evaluated and recommended. I have tried both, and believe that they each achieve excellent performance, but as I have stated, the JBL/Bose foam is much easier to install.

None of us will ever surpass KlausDK from Denmark as the ultimate AR-6 aficionado, but here's to you (clink-clink) for reaching the half dozen (6x6), three-pair level of collection.

attachicon.gifAR 6x6.1.jpg

Yeah, Klaus got the historic opera house 6's.

The alternate foams are JBL's? I've used a JBL foam on an AR-5 woofer before. It seems fine for a "polyether" foam. I'm sure it will outlast me and compliance seems decent if not quite up to the original AR's.

I did see these foams coming out of Europe that look different though I can't tell what the material is and don't want to pay the big bucks to find out.

post-173498-0-25506800-1426903888_thumb.

Roger

Archived