Model Six Caps?

Analogman

Hello to all!

Been away for a long time; Life's distractions (and cancer) ; - (

Anyway, can anyone tell me if there is a reliable way to tell if a Model Six has the sealed paper in oil caps or the exploding "craps", without having to open the speaker?

Do/did all of the epoxied versions (woofer AND tweeter) come with the better caps, or are the "mil-spec"caps a myth all together?

Serial numbers any help with this?

OR

Like AR, is the only way to know for certain is to open the speaker up? (consistently inconsistent)

Thanks to all,

Craig

• 3 years later...

Hi Roy , I’m kind of having a hard time getting involved with csp. I think my problem is that everyone is gone now. I got excited and wrote a few things about some of the klh speakers I have and after I posted it I noticed the last time the gentlemen was on was 17 years ago. I will wait to hear from you to see if you are still hear.  Fred Jones K8RRF. It’s my ham call. Force of habit !! Hi 

2 hours ago, Fred Jones said:

Hi Roy , I’m kind of having a hard time getting involved with csp. I think my problem is that everyone is gone now. I got excited and wrote a few things about some of the klh speakers I have and after I posted it I noticed the last time the gentlemen was on was 17 years ago. I will wait to hear from you to see if you are still hear.  Fred Jones K8RRF. It’s my ham call. Force of habit !! Hi 

Hi Fred,

Still here. You can always send me a PM if you want to discuss something, or get my email address.

Roy

On 2/11/2015 at 3:35 PM, Analogman said:

Hello to all!

Been away for a long time; Life's distractions (and cancer) ; - (

Anyway, can anyone tell me if there is a reliable way to tell if a Model Six has the sealed paper in oil caps or the exploding "craps", without having to open the speaker?

Do/did all of the epoxied versions (woofer AND tweeter) come with the better caps, or are the "mil-spec"caps a myth all together?

Serial numbers any help with this?

OR

Like AR, is the only way to know for certain is to open the speaker up? (consistently inconsistent)

Thanks to all,

Craig

If the terminal plate is recessed, you have the Callins or whatever caps, not the PIO. If the terminal plate
is flush with the back of the cabinet, you might have metal caps. If not, they're some other brand besides
the black plastic body Callins.

Recessed terminal plates were phased in somewhere around serial 134xxx.

On 5/30/2018 at 10:21 PM, dxho said:

If the terminal plate is recessed, you have the Callins or whatever caps, not the PIO. If the terminal plate
is flush with the back of the cabinet, you might have metal caps. If not, they're some other brand besides
the black plastic body Callins.

Recessed terminal plates were phased in somewhere around serial 134xxx.

Missed the boat on this one by 3 and a 1/2 years as well as the fact that "might" falls into the same category as "consistently inconsistent"........................or if you prefer, there'll be an "exception to every rule, every time"

............à la most, if not all products Kloss ever had anything to do with (during the real Walnut veneer era)

Thanks for playing though! 

Craig

Archived