Anyone using inrush current limiters in the KLH Eight?

Mot

I am two years into my love affair with my restored Model Eight! I was able to do much of the restoration myself with the kind assistance of Kent! I benefited directly from Kent's vast knowledge and generous nature... Thank You Kent!

My questions for @JKent and other KLH experts is... Has anyone used an inrush current limiter (ie. CL80) in a KLH Model Eight? Would this addition be helpful as a way to extend the life of the on/off switch?

Many Thanks!

Hey Mot

Thanks for the kind words and I'm glad you're enjoying the Eight.

First a disclaimer: I'm a retired guy with absolutely no technical training. I'm indebted to CSP member John O'Hanlon and my favorite audio technician, Tim Schwartz, for anything I've learned about electronic circuits.

I don't know about inrush current limiters but I can tell you that several years ago John sent me a replacement on/off switch along with an "arc suppressor." This was a small value capacitor, about 0.047uF. But a word of warning: The cap MUST MUST MUST be rated for 250 volts AC. I address this in the latest version of my restoration manual, which I hope to have up on this site soon: http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=6387

Trouble is, it's way too big so I have to get Gene to work his magic on it and compress the file size.

FWIW, I now use type “X1/Y2 safety cap” for this purpose. Here's an explanation: http://www.justradios.com/safetytips.html

The attached photo shows a replacement on/off switch with a blue disc safety cap across the 2 poles. This shot also shows several other upgrades to this "Rev A" Model Eight": Addition of a fuse, new 4-part can cap with new resistors and diode, replacement of old paper caps with new yellow axial caps or blue or orange gum drops, a few new metal oxide resistors.

If you want an advance copy of version 5 of my booklet send me a PM with your email address.

Kent

post-101828-0-33799700-1407686498_thumb.

Archived