Another KLH 5 purchase and recap......

lakecat

Picked them up from original owner. A 1969 pair in almost mint condition. Very disappointed when testing them but crossed fingers and hoped for the best. Got them home and noticed the woofer surrounds very porous. I had some surround seal from Roy left over from an AR 3 I had done so I applied two coats to it. That brought them back to life...... :)

Next I read and studied posts here...talked to Roy by email and decided to recap. Thanks to Kent for your pics as it helped me greatly! Never touched the resistors as they looked fine. I used Dayton's and cleaned the pots with Deoxit. They sound simply fantastic.

I am in the process now of refinishing the cabs. Pics are when I picked them up and shows how nice they are and the recap versus old. I am refinishing just to take out a few light scratches and make them look new..... :)

Yes--that's my pic and your experience is the same as mine: Woofer sealer, new caps and cabinet refinishing make these really great speakers!

Kent

• 6 months later...

Lakecat, so now that you have had them for a while, what's your impression of the Fives as compared to the AR3's? How the cabs turn out or are you waiting for warmer weather yet? The cabinet of the one in the initial post look really good.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also interested in a Model Five/AR3 Comparison. Also, if you have not yet finished the cabinets and have any questions I would be happy to help out. I just finished mine recently. Stripping them took forever but I had great results with Danish Oil and the finished product is stunning in person.

Here is a link to my post regarding this:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=8239&hl=

Archived