Rectilinear XI

JKent

As you must already know, the R-III highboy is the flagship model in this lineup, and IMHO, still flies under the radar a bit, and often represents a very, very good bang-for-buck among 60's/70's vintage speakers. There were at least three versions of this speaker - - small tweaks, mostly in the crossover - - and this price sounds very fair, even though they can occasionally be found for even less. Very good build quality, nice veneers, fine drivers, simple crossovers, beautiful proportions, deep 12" woofer - - - what's not to like?

• 3 years later...

I acquired a pair of XI at a tag sale with one tweeter bad.   I recapped, replaced the phenolic tweeters with the lookalikes from PartsXpress and replaced the fiberglass with acoustafill. 

I think they sound great,  currently using them in place of my Hayden Viennas and enjoying the bass that is lacking in the Haydens.  Also very efficient.  Their performance seems to comport with the excellent specs.

My question:  The 10" woofers have cloth surrounds.  One of the woofer's surround has a slight flat spot.    It seems to have structural integrity.    But, is there anything I can or should do to treat the cloth surround?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome Tom

If you go back to the 1st post I mentioned using Roy's sealant on the woofer's cloth surround. This is the ONLY sealant that should be used on cloth surrounds. You may be able to get some by sending Roy a PM or just buy it from ebay seller Vintage_AR.

-Kent

I love the fact that you're using Rectilinear XIs instead of your Vienna Haydns which probably cost 10x as much & probably don't sound 1x as good! 

I had a pair of very good Vienna Mozart Grands sitting next to my Rectilinear IIIs.   I sold the Mozarts & kept the IIIs. 

Archived