AR3 to AR3a cabinet transfer (AR3 components to ar3a cabs

script56

Hello. I have a pair of AR3 that are fully functioning. The pots are in need of cleaning, but all components mint. The cabinets are water damaged. I also have a pair of AR3a in excellent condition. Cabs are perfect. I am planning on transfering all ar3 components to ar3a cabinets. My question is whats the best way to do this? The tweet and mid are front loaded and wires are wrapped around posts which may be difficult to de solder and re install. Is it possible to somehow remove the front and back panels instead of removing each part separately.

If by front and back "panels" you mean the fiberboad crossover and front terminal boards, it is sometimes possible to remove them in one piece, but it is very difficult. The glue and staples holding them in place often results in damage upon removal.

The cabinet holes are the same for the two models, but the 6uf cap and the pots are the only common internal parts. The AR-3 tweeters and mids have fragile aluminum leads, so extreme care must be taken when dealing with them. Electrical solder specific to aluminum must be used when reconnecting them, as conventional solder will not work.

Roy

Archived