KLH various model rankings.....

stupidhead

thanx guys, as I said I just couldn't resist. NO water rings is certainly a bonus, and yes the Velcro will need some attention.

I have decided to crack these open and start a rehab, shelving the 2ax for the time being. Once I gather a few things I will start a new thread for the rehab.

Back to the original topic for a moment, I saw a set of 30's (KLH) for sale. These have not come up in anybody's previous comments and I wonder about them. Appears to be a 2-way system with a 12" woofer?

They appear to have some funky grille cloth, striped and look like a pair of pants I remember from the 70's.

He is currently asking $160, which seems high by about $60-$100.

Geoff

I haven't heard back from seller yet on the 30s, I did send him an email expressing interest, but not at his asking price. We shall see.

On the 5s, I did crack one open yesterday before the game and took a few pics. I will start a new thread for a rebuild as soon as I get a little better organized. One question though, every rebuild I have seen on these has the xover board out of the cabinet. I am not sure what is holding it down but I removed the four screws on the perimeter and it seems loose but somehow still tied to something underneath. There is much play now with the screws out, but still seems there is some sort of fastener holding it. I removed the nuts and washers from external speaker terminals and they are loose but no impact on the internal board fasten. The switches have a rubber grommet at the base of the stem which I fussed with a little, but didn't want to force anything. Probably a simple procedure but I ran out of time as the game started. I don't want to damage anything in haste so figured I would pose this here.

thanx in advance for any guidance and I will start a new thread with the rebuild including pics. many observations already about the similarities and more importantly the differences between the KLH build vs. the AR build.

Geoff

Hey Geoff

So is it the point-to-point, on a shiny aluminum panel? (the PCB has 7 holes). I don't recall exactly how I removed it but looking at photos yes--there are 4 screws and I assume there was either a gasket or sealant to maintain the acoustic seal so you may have to pry a bit (and replace it when re-assembling).

Looking at my photos, it's a 2-layer deal. I'll attach a photo but it's not the best. It looks like the black aluminum panel that the speaker terminals attach to was glued to the back of the cabinet on the inside, and that needed to be pried off.

One caution: The 8-32 machine screws used for speaker terminals are installed through the aluminum panel. Dumb. They are insulated with rubber grommets so be SURE you reinstall them with the insulators!

Hope this helps.

Kent

post-101828-0-42111300-1453739502_thumb.

Hey Kent,

Yes, I am sorry I didn't mention that. Yes, not PCB style. This approach is what I suspected but didn't want to bend aluminum or mar surfaces un-necessarily.

Definitely 2 layer, and I suspect that does not include the screen printed panel with controls.

Thanx for the heads up on the grommets on the terminals.

Any other hands on experiences that might help?

I think that does include the screen printed panel but the memory is a bit foggy ;)

Below is a list of caps and resistors per speaker.

As I mentioned, I replace all the old 5w resistors with 10 or 12w. Plain ol' wirewound resistors are fine. Mills are nice because they're small but they're expensive--$4.25 each and you need a total of 10. Madisound has some Eagles that are nice but the values are not quite right. PE has 5, 10 and 15 ohm wirewound for $0.78 each but not 6 ohm. You'll have to use one of their "precision audio grade" resistors for the 6 ($1.38).

I would use the cheapest film caps. Carli caps from Madisound are good but the values are slightly off. Daytons from PE are fine. They don't have 16uF but 15 will do or use 15 + 1 if you're OCD. You can also use Madisound 10uF surplus caps paralleled with others.

Schematic is here: http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library/klh/klh_5_klh_model_five/klh_5_schematicsservice/klh_5_schematic_2.html#previous-photo

-Kent

Caps:
3uF
3) 4uF
16uF
25uF
Resistors:
2) 15

• 3 years later...

I stated in the biz when stereo was two track reel to reel. When the time came came a stereo theater served me well with all speakers, mostly bookshelf models behind a curtain, completely  unidentified, requiring listeners to choose a first and second by sound alone. The most often first choice was KLH (don't remember model) resembled  the model that came with the Model 20,   price $69.95 a pair.  Others there were AR, Jensen, J.B. Lansing, Bozak, Ampex and don't remember.

the Model 20 system at $450.00 was a great compact system for a budget or first time customer.  In later years and venues I carried three KLH speakers. Again, Captain Audio at age 85 doesn't have a clear clue.but does have ESS AMT 1d  

• 6 months later...

Welcome Hokie

KLH made good speakers during the "classic" period that we discuss here (1950s, 60s). In the mid-'60s the company was sold to Singer, then in the '70s to Kyocera, then to a variety of other companies who kept the KLH name but little else. Classic KLH speakers were acoustic suspension designs, made in the USA. I found only one reference to the Professional 41 and it is a ported speaker, made in 1994--long after the "classic" era. Found a few references to the smaller Pro 21.

The history of the brand ownership gets a little murky between the '70s and about 2017 but my impression is there were a lot of mediocre speakers with the KLH name slapped on the front. According to Wikipedia, "Kyocera decided to stop manufacturing audio products in 1989, and sought a buyer for the KLH brand. The company was formally known as KLH Audio Systems and for a while located in Santa Ynez, California. It was also known as Wald Sound and Verit Industries".

About 2 years ago Dave Kelley, former CEO of Klipsch, re-launched the KLH brand with some high quality gear but I think your 41s are from the "dark days".

"Value" is very subjective. If you like them, good. If you don't, get rid of them. I doubt they have much resale value but that's not what we focus on here.

13 hours ago, Jim Pearce said:

I believe that the 23's are the finest vintage speakers I've ever heard.

CSP member Andrew Hayden, who wrote some good articles for Antique Radio Classified really liked the 23s. I think he said they were underappreciated.

• 2 years later...

I have no experience with these so I don't know. Here's an ad https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Audio/Archive-Stereo-Review-IDX/IDX/80s/Stereo-Directory-1984-OCR-Page-0137.pdf. and I see a brochure for sale on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/133942669193

The speakers you posted need to be refoamed, so add that to your cost.