Will a Pioneer SX1010 be a good match for AR10pi's?

jeff spicoli

I posted a question a few weeks ago on my AR10pi's Im currently restoring and have a line on a one owner Pioneer SX1010. The Pioneer is rated at 105 watts per channel at 4 ohms. Will this be enough? I've read that i might need more and it seems that if i ask 10 different people i get 10 different answers? What did they AR owners use when you really didn't have all that much power to choose from? I'd like to get something that is from the same time that my speakers came...hence the Pioneer.

I ran my 3a's off of a vintage technics 60 watts per channel receiver. They sounded very good. Low distortion is much more important then watts per

channel. I also used to run my 91's off of a vintage Marantz 2252b which is around 70 watts per channel into 4 ohms. Sounded great. There was not a lot

of difference between that and the Hafler dh200 that I ran them off later. Just some more volume and the bass had more authority. The Hafler dh200 is

over 200 watts per channel into 4 ohms.

The amount of power required from an amplifier is entirely dependent on the listening space and how loudly you want the speakers to play. Higher power ratings do not mean better sound at lower volume levels. Your speakers can sound excellent with as little as 25 watts/channel, depending on the quality of the amp and listening level requirements.

If the Pioneer is functioning properly it will be a good match for your speakers, and provide plenty of power.

Roy

Thank you HarryM and RoyC. I always wondered what people did back in the early days of stereo and hi-fi when the amount of power wasn't as prevalent. I guess it depends on the quality and not quantity when it comes to watts per channel

• 4 weeks later...

For a given relatively low listening level, one thing that some people notice between different amplifiers is the dampening they provide to bass response of the speaker that is not in the music signal. Higher powered amplifiers usually have lower output impedance (higher damping factors), and thus the bemf generated by the moving speaker decays faster - the circuit is closer to a short. To me; amplifiers with lower output impedance sound noticeably better, especially at low listening levels that amplifiers with higher output impedance.

Putting it a different way, the lower the output impedance of the amplifier, the more closely the audio output of the speaker will follow the electrical input provided by the amplifier to the speaker. This is more noticeable to me at lower sound levels, and in the bass frequencies.

Archived