metal grill dings

sinewaver

Does anybody have any methods of dealing with the dings that spoil the metal grilles of A/D/S speakers ? I picked up a good working pair of L880's in black and the grilles are .... let's say, not too pretty. Some cabinet defects that I can deal with but the grilles detract from them. I'm thinking they could be rolled, under pressure, to straighten some of the dings. Repainting would be easy but the material attached to the back of the grilles would seal up. What is it and what purpose does it serve ?

• 9 months later...

My L780 IIs had many, many dents in the grilles when I got them. Some of them were severe enough that the paint had flaked off. What I did was to place the grilles face down on a padded carpet and gently push the dents out with my thumb(s). It was surpisingly easy, a little tougher when the dent was right over one of the creases in the grilles, and it came out perfectly. After that I removed the emblems and shot them with a can of Krylon satin black spray paint. It was a perfect match to the original finish. Snap the emblem back in place and you're done.

• 6 years later...

Even though this post is old, I have straightened out many a grill for the L1290 model. I put them face down, outside down, on a flat piece of marble or any hard surface that is flat and smooth, and then bang them with a rubber mallet. Works like a charm.