AR Restoration Meeting--1

johnieo

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Carl, I went and read it. That's a lot of reading. What I got out of that was to replace NPE's with NPE's. By pure luck, that is what I've done with all

my AR recaps. My local supplier only carries NPE's for speakers and they are cheap. $27 to recap the 9x's, except for the 2 large caps. I left them

alone. Wish the guy's that modded the 9x's could have read that thread before they defiled them though. :angry:

I consider myself very fortunate that I found this forum and it's very well informed poster's to guide me every step of the way. More often then not, I

don't do what I'm told to do but I trust you guys.

If you ever want to have a meeting on my side of the border, I'm in. Maybe you could bring across a few pairs of AR9's that you guys seem to have so

many of on your side. :)

Harry

• 2 months later...

The FIFTH 2013 meeting of the AR Restoration Society (International division) took place 14 November in beautiful ROME, ITALY.

Attendees included JKent and Adriano (aka Sonnar). Topics of discussion included:

• where to find the best food in Rome
  • the popularity of AR speakers in Europe
  • the relative merits of AR, KLH, JBL, Altec and other speakers
  • Italian cars vs American speakers, and

Sadly the meeting was cut short due to, what else? Dinner reservations!

Respectfully submitted,

Kent

assistant to the assistant to the assistant recording secretary

post-101828-0-63524000-1384764640_thumb.

Kent and Adriano,

I have met with Adriano on two occasions on visits to Italy--our daughter and her husband live a few hours from Rome and visiting her provides the perfect excuse for the meeting of the International AR Restoration Society.

So my question is this: Does JKent's meeting with Adriano constitute the 3rd meeting of the International AR Restoration Society or do my previous two meetings with Adriano constitute the 6th and 7th meetings of the AR Restoration Society?

We need a ruling.

The topics for our meetings have been remarkably similar.

Steve F.

So my question is this: Does JKent's meeting with Adriano constitute the 3rd meeting of the International AR Restoration Society or do my previous two meetings with Adriano constitute the 6th and 7th meetings of the AR Restoration Society?

Well, I typed those "minutes" quickly early this morning after having left Rome at 9 AM Rome time and arriving home after a cancelled flight, re-route, etc. at 3 AM NJ time or 10 AM Rome time. So 25+ sleepless hours.

You are absolutely right. This was not the 5th international meeting. I thought it was the 5th meeting, and it was international. So maybe this was the 3rd international meeting or the 8th meeting? Too confusing--I'm still a bit jet-lagged.

My only regret is that our schedule was so jam-packed I could only see Adriano for a few minutes in my hotel room. I delivered some AR-3 parts for his current restoration and we had a very nice but brief chat. He's a real AR nut like the rest of us and an all around nice guy. Maybe on the next trip......

Kent

He's a great guy and very knowledgeable about AR, electronics, music, etc. When my wife and I got to Italy for visits, I always devote a full day to seeing Adriano, so we can listen at length, discuss speakers, electronics, and music and of course, eat a nice meal! He definitely knows the good places!

I'm constatly amazed at how universal this interest is--geographic borders make no difference at all. I give full credit to my wife--when at home in the US, she stays out of all things technical. But in Italy, she's "dragged along" by logistical necessity. However, she speaks Italian pretty well (I don't speak it at all) and although Adriano's English is more than passable, there are times when we need a good linguistic "crossover network," so to speak.

This is fun stuff. It's satisfying on many levels, for many reasons. Both Adriano's Dad and my Dad owned AR speakers, and that's how both of us picked up the interest. Half a world apart.

Steve F.

I'm constatly amazed at how universal this interest is--geographic borders make no difference at all.

Steve F.

Of course, no matter what the 'experts' and the multitude of 'studies' say, music is the universal language! It's the music that drives the audio interest.

You are absolutely right. This was not the 5th international meeting. I thought it was the 5th meeting, and it was international. So maybe this was the 3rd international meeting or the 8th meeting? Too confusing--I'm still a bit jet-lagged.

The correct numbering of the International Division meetings may be obscured in the dust of crumbling surrounds. I do recall meeting at Organ Stop Pizza, Mesa, AZ in 2009 with Richard Lowe (Melbourne) and Ken Kantor. That meeting followed one between Richard and Klaus in Denmark (2008??). Perhaps there were several others? As a physicist, I would accurately call the most recent Rome meeting number "N + 1" :)

Finally to complete Kent's meeting definition---photo and sustenance---we might consider including a pint or a maß (for those so inclined) hoisted in toast to Edgar Villchur ... provided an AR 12-in woofer was not chosen as the "designated driver."

Cheers,

John

• 10 months later...

FIRST ANNUAL 2014 MEETING?

Hard to imagine there have been no other meetings of the AR Restoration Society in 2014, but on October 7th it was back to ChinaTown, NYC for dim sum at Nom Wah (nearly impossible to find but worth the effort). Nom Wah "was" a place that only local Chinese and those "in the know" frequented, but since it was featured in Amazing Spider-Man 2 it seems everyone knows about it http://www.thelodownny.com/leslog/2013/02/amazing-spider-man-2-films-at-nom-wah-tea-parlor-friday.html

This was actually the "Henry Kloss Memorial Subcommittee" of the Society ;)

Participants were Lynne (photographer, not pictured), Chang (new member and Kloss enthusiast) and Kent (old fart and KLH radio poohbah).

Discussion questions included;

1. Can a Taiwanese and two European-Americans enjoy a Hong-Kong based cuisine? (consensus: yes)
  2. Which works better, fork or chopsticks? (consensus: fork)
  3. Is it possible to have too much classic audio gear? (Lynne cast the dissenting vote)
  4. Who put the "psycho" in psychoacoustics? (expert opinions from psychologists Chang and Kent while Lynne provided a layman's perspective)

Chang graciously hosted the evening to thank Kent for restoring his classic KLH Model Eight tube radio. A splendid time was had by all.

Respectfully submitted,

Kent

post-101828-0-86562600-1412775550_thumb.

post-101828-0-69808200-1412775605_thumb.

post-101828-0-10191600-1412775615_thumb.

• 2 years later...

Starting with the first post. page 1:

• RoyC & johnieo
  • johnieo & JKent
  • johnieo, mluong303, JKent & egg custard pie
  • lakecat with brisket
  • Carlspeak & RoyC

page 2:

• Sonnar & Kent
  • Nom Wah Tea Parlor, Kent & friend Dr. Chang, KLH Model Eight

hmmmm. Looks like I have not been camera shy :D

Yes, there is comradery and this is a friendly forum. btw--hope you noticed these "meetings" and "membership in the AR Restoration Society" is all tongue-in-cheek.

-Kent

• 3 weeks later...

First Annual 2017 Meeting?

Has there been a 3 year hiatus? Are other members withholding minutes of their meetings? That's a violation of of the Bylaws, Article 3 section B subsection 12: All meetings of the AR Restoration Society shall be duly reported to make non-atendees jealous.

This meeting of the ARRS was held at Camp Run-a-Muk, NJ and an undisclosed location housing a cache of cool AR parts. The meeting was hosted by Kent. Attendees included Roy and our ever-tolerant wives.

Discussion questions included;

• Are these AR-3s or 3a's?
  • Can this dead tweeter be saved?
  • How do you convert an AR-9 mid to an AR-3a mid?
  • What's for dinner?

After a tour of Kent's workshop and a thorough stuffing of Roy's car with numerous AR parts, participants gathered at Camp Run-a-Muk for libations and dinner, topped off by Lynne's home-made blueberry pie. A most productive session.

Respectfully submitted,

Kent

AR Restoration 2017.jpg

44 minutes ago, lakecat said:

Be thirsty my friends....:) You live on a lake too?

Yup. Guess I'm the "NJ lakecat" :D

On 9/30/2017 at 10:19 PM, JKent said:

After a tour of Kent's workshop and a thorough stuffing of Roy's car with numerous AR parts, participants gathered at Camp Run-a-Muk for libations and dinner, topped off by Lynne's home-made blueberry pie. A most productive session.

Productive indeed, and delicious! Many thanks to Kent and Lynne for providing a most enjoyable day. I felt as if I was at an ARRS lakeside retreat...with a great workshop!

Attached is a photo of the first topic of discussion in Kent's list (although I believe it actually was "What's for lunch?"). A pair of AR-3's were marked on the back label as "converted" to AR-3a's in 1972. Upon opening one of them I found an AR-3 crossover (note the oil capacitors) and a single AR-5 Sprague woofer capacitor (72 uf) wired across the woofer. The Sprague cap's manufacture date was 1974....hmmm. An AR-3 tweeter, AR-3 mid, and an AR-3a woofer were installed in the cabinet. If these old cabinets could talk...

Roy

DSC00176.JPG

On 6/23/2013 at 2:23 AM, johnieo said:

post-100900-0-19237200-1371968536_thumb.The first 2013 meeting of the AR Restoration Society was held 15 June in Latham NY. All in attendance listened attentively while Roy C presented a paper entitiled Restoring AR Speakers Found in the Dumpster.See attached image.

Respectfully submitted,

John O, recording secretary

Hey Roy!

Nice to see your face finally!

So if there is another Restoration society get together, I would be very interested!

Besides all the great tech conversation and most importantly good food, do you bring systems to listen to our wonderful restored AR's?

Glenn

On 9/30/2017 at 10:19 PM, JKent said:

First Annual 2017 Meeting?

AR Restoration 2017.jpg

I thought I'd stumbled across the cast reunion from the Red Green show!

But seriously, I hope you had your meter and checked the ESR on those oil caps before hitting the bar.

On 11/18/2013 at 3:51 AM, JKent said:

The FIFTH 2013 meeting of the AR Restoration Society (International division) took place 14 November in beautiful ROME, ITALY.

Attendees included JKent and Adriano (aka Sonnar). Topics of discussion included:

• the popularity of AR speakers in Europe
  • the relative merits of AR, KLH, JBL, Altec and other speakers
  • Italian cars vs American speakers, and

Sadly the meeting was cut short due to, what else? Dinner reservations!

Respectfully submitted,

Kent

post-101828-0-63524000-1384764640_thumb.

Hi Kent!

Great to see you as well!

Cheers!

Glenn

Archived