Cizek Model II

ra.ra

Yesterday I came across a pair of Cizek Model II speakers in a local thrift store. Full disclosure - - I've never personally listened to any Cizek speakers; further, I had never even been aware of this manufacturer until I began following the threads on CSP a few years ago.

From what little I know, these appear rather similar to the Model I speakers - - two way speakers, 8" woofer, Peerless tweeter. Cabinet dimensions are 21" x 13" x 9", weight 32 lbs each. I'll admit I don't quite understand these speakers, but they intrigue me nonetheless. Apparently, with their designed controls, they can be situated to perform with either a 4 ohm (4.25) or 8 ohm (7.25) impedance rating. These speakers have two controls on the front baffle: one is a two-position switch which opts between a Q of .57 or .90; and the other appears to be a variable tweeter rheostat.

The build quality is impressive - - - very dense construction (i.e. heavy!!!) and beautiful walnut veneer. The tweets are original but methinks the woofs have been replaced with very weighty Cerwin-Vega 8" drivers. Consecutive serial numbers, no grilles, and one compromised binding post.

As much as these look to me like an interesting and very viable project, I am currently passing on them, only because I have too many projects already. If anyone here has greater interest, let me know how I might help.

Sounds like a good find, unless they do in fact have replacement woofers. Bummer. I'm certain Cizek did not make their own woofers. It would be nice if you could find out who the OEM supplier was and maybe restore these to their original glory.

In this thread, http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40577 GordonW wrote "simply the best sounding 10" 2-way of the era between 1965 and 1985. It manages to combine the transient "snap" of the JBL L26 with the bass extension the Advent and AR speakers, while having the smoothness-of-response of the Avids and ADS/Braun/Aria speakers of that era." High praise indeed.

Paolo is our resident Cizek expert. He has pics of the 2 on this page: http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=3143

I never saw woofers that look like that before, even in other photos of the Cizek 2 (except in our Library but this pic was probably from Paolo also http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library/cizek_2/cizek_pictures/model_ii_photos/model_ii_b.html#previous-photo )

I LOVE my Cizek KA-1's.

Kent

edit: Just did a little research. Apparently the 2s did have a foam cone over the woofer. With time the foam probably has rotted away and when the surround foam goes people don't replace the "dome"--probably because there is no source. The Cizek 1 had a foam ring on the woofer and I know there were foam tweeter diffusers on my KA-1s. Seems Roy Cizek used foam to fine-tune the sound. He also designed very complex crossovers and was said by some to have "golden ears."

Thanks for the comments. Not that I need these, but I may try to stop and have another look-see if they're still available. Thusfar, I've been unable to dig up much on the woofers, so I'm still in the dark about the originality of these drivers.

I am not at all clear on the Cizek story. Apparently, Roy Cizek was blind and perhaps that contributed to his ultra-sensitized sense of hearing. Also, I have seen company addresses in Bloomington, IN (my home state) and both Andover and Cambridge, MA.

Kent, the statement by Gordon W is indeed high praise, but I am confused b/c the Model II speakers I've seen are definitely 8" two-ways, not 10". Maybe the Model I is a 10" two-way......I dunno. Two things about this foam are somewhat unique - - - not only was there this circular piece over the woofer dust cap, but the entire baffleboard is covered in the same material.

Odd speakers, but I remain curious.

I am not at all clear on the Cizek story. Apparently, Roy Cizek was blind and perhaps that contributed to his ultra-sensitized sense of hearing. Also, I have seen company addresses in Bloomington, IN (my home state) and both Andover and Cambridge, MA.

You can google "Roy Cizek" for info. There is some stuff here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Cizek

Apparently he was more of a designer or visionary than businessman. His earliest company was in Indiana, then he had a company in Andover and Cambridge. Finally there was the Cizek company in Torrance CA, where he produced the HTA (High Tech Aspirin) speakers. I'm sure I'm missing parts of a fascinating story. He may also have been somewhat eccentric, judging by the complexity of the KA-11 crossover. One has to wonder how he and Henry Kloss (a bit of an eccentric in his own right apparently) got along.

Kent

Yep, I've read the same sort of reports on Mr. Cizek - - - visionary, yes ........ businessman, not so much. I don't think I was aware that the company had yet another location (CA), but perhaps that should not surprising given the 'fly-by-night' survival of this corporate endeavor. Even while staying "within the box" (i.e. 3-D rectilinear solid), Cizek seemed to always be "thinking outside the box".

I had no idea that Cizek and Kloss had an association. Was it at AR?.....KLH?......Advent? I will look into this for my own edification.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info rickrob2.

I really don't know much about Cizeks, but I do think I may have read something confirming your statement about their in-house woofers. This was the only reason I passed on these strange beasts in the local thrift store, thinking I'd never find true replacements to return these back to near original. Otherwise, I was very impressed with their build and finish, and really curious about the unique crossover and controls.

Below are pics of Model I (left) and Model II (right).

post-112624-0-55877500-1373661397_thumb. post-112624-0-93018500-1373661416_thumb.

Yes, they wouldn't be the same without the original woofers. I would have passed on them as well, as finding a pair of Model Two woofers today would be a tall task. I managed to find a pair of Model One woofers at a small stereo shop in Brookline 5 years ago. Used them to restore a second pair of Model Ones. The Model Ones in the pic you posted are the first pair I restored 6 or 7 years ago, still have them.

If I remember, on some of the Model One Woofers-- Cizek went as far as welding the magnets onto the basket and I think they may have even charged the magnets. On a pair I have here, there's a weld from each corner of the magnet frame to the basket.

• 3 weeks later...

Cizek made the woofers for the Model One and Model Two in-house.

If I remember, on some of the Model One Woofers-- Cizek went as far as welding the magnets onto the basket and I think they may have even charged the magnets. On a pair I have here, there's a weld from each corner of the magnet frame to the basket.

Thanks for that information rickbob. I had no idea they built their own woofers! I stand corrected!

I've been fortunate to acquire two pair of beautiful Cizek KA-1's. I know the earlier SN 106-107 ones did not have welded woofers because I have photos, but IIRC, the later SN (213-214) DO have welded woofers. I neglected to take photos but seem to recall thinking they looked odd.

Mr. Cizek was apparently a real "tweaker". His speakers have all kinds of interesting mods, from the foam on the baffles and drivers to the very complex crossovers and now we learn, welded magnets!

I think Roy was more concerned with attaining an elusive perfect sound than with making a buck!

Kent

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I'm, Sergio from Italy owner since 1982 of a pair of Model 3 and it's a pleasure to have a chance to meet here a lot of people doing a restore of Cizek pieces, looking for the original sound of these great speakers. I'm doing the same so i'm collecting any informations concerning the customize process (by Cizek factory) of the great tweeter Peerless KO10DT/8 or DT115 before the installation in the cabinet.

Thats because i have two spare pairs of tweeter that i bought many years ago from Coral  (Peerless italian dealer) and I would like to setup these spare parts as a real backup of the original piece moodified by Cizek.

Any info about that can be really useful !

Thank You in advance for help.

Best Regards
Sergio 

Archived