Poicked up a set of AR 1's

jessearias

I just scored a set of Cizek AR-1's for $150.00 bucks. They are not model ones as the frequency controls are located on the back. So I think they are AR-1's. The cabinets are a bit beat but they can be re-finished. The drivers are pristine. The previous owner had new surrounds and grills installed. I will post some picks of the re-finished speakers.

I will post some picks of the re-finished speakers.

Looking forward to seeing them! I'm not familiar with the AR-1. Do you plan to do any crossover work?

Kent

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I finally got around to taking them apart and taking a few pictures. I am guessing they are AR-1's because there are no Cizek labels or name on them. They look identical to my Model 1's. The cabinets are the same, the drivers are the same. The only difference is that the switches are on the back of the cabinet (like an AR) and not on the front (like the model 1) When I played them, they sounded good, but did not have the bass punch like my Model 1's. The previous owner had new surrounds installed on the woofers and replaced the tweeters because they were not working with the MW 4118 Peerless replacement tweeters. The original felt that covered the face of the cabinets was deteriorated and they scraped it off and painted it black. They also made some new grills as the original foam ones must have been damaged or deteriorated as well. The cabinets are a little beat up, but a little TLC will fix that.

So, took them apart and found out why they had no bass punch. They were empty cabinets. (see picture) My Model 1's came from Cizek stuffed with wool dampening. Easy to fix with a little Acusta-stuf. The crossovers are another matter. They are a bunch of parts glued to a thin fiber board that is glued into the speaker. (see picture) A pretty cheap set up. I will most certainly break the board trying to remove it. This is going to be a project re-capping them for sure.

From the looks of the speakers, I am guessing they are late production. They were probably made in the last year(s) before Cizek went out of business. The way the crossovers are made and the lack of dampening show some serious cost cutting measures.

post-124731-0-78897100-1370143725_thumb.post-124731-0-19697200-1370143798_thumb.post-124731-0-20909900-1370143867_thumb.post-124731-0-99464800-1370143889_thumb.post-124731-0-11282900-1370143959_thumb.post-124731-0-09818400-1370143979_thumb.

They are a bunch of parts glued to a thin fiber board that is glued into the speaker. (see picture) A pretty cheap set up. I will most certainly break the board trying to remove it. This is going to be a project re-capping them for sure.

Maybe not. You should be able to reach in and snip the leads of those 2 caps, then splice the leads from your new caps to those. I would not pry the whole thing out.

Interesting "Impedance Control" switch.

Your cabs don't look bad at all. As you said, just need some TLC. And the new grilles appear to be quite nice.

Good luck with these!

Kent

Archived