Boston Audio

jwjensen356

There has been much news about Boston in the last week, mostly bad. But the news mostly made me think about Boston (and Memory Lane), mostly good. My good times (from the 50s) in Boston, going to university, etc., were also about audio. They included (not necessarily in order):

* going to the Listening Post on Newbury Street (one street over from Boylston Street, not then the very, very up-market street that it is now) and seeing the first of the Dynaco amplifiers and listening to good (great!!) audio.

* shopping for LPs at the record shop in the ground floor of the Hotel Troumaine (at Boylston and Tremont (please correct me if my memory fails me))

* shopping at the original Radio Shack (at lower Washington Street) where I saw the first of the RS Realistic tuners (built then by Harmon Kardon) and also where I bought hardware for my home-built power amplifiers

* going to the Boston audio shows (at the hotel mentioned above) and also flying to NYC to go to the New York audio show at the Hotel McAlpine (I think it was there).

* knowing Roy Paananen at Raytheon who wrote a MIT paper which formed the basis of the later HH Scott tuners (and also the National FM tuners, one of which I later purchased)

* seeing Daniel von Recklinghausen at a presentation at school (university) discussing the HH Scott developments.

* wandering over to Lafayette Radio and making sundry purchases there.

* and after those purchases, etc., going to Durgin Park and having one of their $0.95 lunches (my favorites being the Yankee Pot Roast, or the Pork Loin with Stuffing).

* and after getting my National FM Tuner, hooking it up and pulling in WQXR from NY, about 180 miles from Brookline.

* buying a Rek-o-Kut turntable (K33H) which I still have. Along with a Pickering 190D arm (close-out discounted for $15) and still in use.

After these, well, there might have been more but my memory fails me ( I must be getting old, well, at least older). I hope others can figure a few other examples from their memories).

John

Archived