AR SAT-660 Speaker Specs?

Guest mich221

Guest mich221

I have recently been given some old Acoustic Research satellite type speakers, Model no. SAT-660. Two small speakers, each with a mid and tweeter, and one passive subwoofer. I think they were bought in late 1980s at Circuit City. I am trying to find out all the specifications for these speakers, particularly impedence. Are they considered a highly rated speaker? The highs sound very good, relatively weak bass. Can anyone help? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tombowlus

I picked up a pair of the satellites only (no subwoofer) off of ebay recently, and I do find that I like the sound of these speakers. I bought them to use as surrounds (right now, they are in a system with Thiels L/R/C, but I also own some AR TSW-110's, and they look like miniature versions of the 110's). I used my TSW-110's for years with a (non-AR) passive sub, and this is still a very good setup. I have not tried the SAT 660's with my other passive sub, but they work very well as surrounds.

Later, Tom.

Guest mich221

Using the satellites without the sub- I was always afraid to do this thinking they were similar to many bose sysytems where the speaker protection was in the sub. Even though I have another external powered sub, I still use the passive- I never opened it up to check.

I own a couple other front bookshelve speakers but always go back to the AR's because of their crystal highs.

Guest tombowlus

You are correct to urge caution when playing with the satellites only. In my surround setup, my pre/pro (Rotel RSP-1066) allows me to set them up as a "small speaker", thereby keeping the lows out of them. When I did audition them with a full-range signal, I kept the volume quite low. Surprisingly, they actually sounded pretty good, and had fairly decent low-end, considering their small size.

Tom.

Archived