AR11 VS AR3a

DON

On 2/13/2021 at 8:53 PM, RoyC said:

Alcuni possessori di AR-11 / 10pi preferiscono i tweeter precedenti, che in genere hanno un output più uniforme. La versione con cupola nera tende ad avere un rendimento meno uniforme a causa della natura variabile del vecchio ferrofluido.

Roy

A prototype of Ar10Pone with slide selectors, was sent for testing to SUONO STERO HI-FI magazine in 1975. The test and measurements of the loudspeaker was conducted by engineer Renato Giussani (later ESB 706 designer), who reproduced, in the crossover filter scheme, the high pass of the tweeter with the 8 uF capacitor; by the way, the 8 uF value is also reported in sheet 15 of the spare parts list issued by Acoustic Research and indicated as spare part for the AR 10 (see attachments), part list 830025.

ar_parts_packet_august_1-15 8 micro 10P.jpeg

Copertina SUONO.jpg

Prova 1.jpg

Prova 2.jpg

• 3 months later...

Recently I picked up a pair of AR10 Pi for restoration, but unfortunately one had the wrong tweeter. One came with the original cream tweeter, but the other one was an AR3A tweeter. I'm now searching for a replacement original cream tweeter, which is proving quite difficult. I don't suppose anyone has one for sale? I'm not sure what my choices are other than finding an original replacement 

On 9/19/2020 at 1:25 PM, lARrybody said:

DAA. Have you ever listened to the AR 91 or the AR58S ?  They are basically the same speaker, different cabinets. To me that is the ultimate version of the AR3a  3 way.   The AR 11 is very good   But the redesigned dome tweeter and midrange really shine on the AR 58S and 91.   

I have to agree. I prefer listening to my 91s a bit more than the 10Pi; but not a whole lot. I have to get or make some tilting stands for the 10pi and see if that makes a difference.

On 6/4/2021 at 5:50 AM, budney said:

Recently I picked up a pair of AR10 Pi for restoration, but unfortunately one had the wrong tweeter. One came with the original cream tweeter, but the other one was an AR3A tweeter. I'm now searching for a replacement original cream tweeter, which is proving quite difficult. I don't suppose anyone has one for sale? I'm not sure what my choices are other than finding an original replacement 

I doubt that you will find a cream colored AR tweeter.  I have never seen a working one come up for sale.  You may have some luck finding the black, second generation tweeter found in the second generation AR-10B/11B.  It doesn’t show up every day on eBay, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see one for sale in the next few months.  I recently restored a pair of first generation AR-11A’s that had blown tweeters, and was able to replace the tweeters with a pair of eBay sourced 11B tweeters. 

I don’t think that you will find an audible difference in the sound of the first & second generation tweeters.  Other than cosmetics (black dome verses cream dome), it appears that the addition of Ferrofluid to the 10B’s/11B’s tweeter’s voice coil was the only change that AR made.  This gave it more power handling ability.

If you can’t find an 11B tweeter, you may want to consider replacing one or both tweeters with aftermarket tweeters.  I purchased a pair from Midwest Speaker Repair (Midwest Speaker Repair MT-4121 .75-inch dome tweeter) to use as backups, since I am now running 2 pairs of AR-11’s in my system, and didn’t want to risk not having a replacement if a tweeter blows.  I compared the AR 11B tweeter to the MT-4121 tweeter, and felt that the MT-4121 may be a little bit brighter, but otherwise I could hear no difference.    

On 6/4/2021 at 5:50 AM, budney said:

I bought a pair of 2nd generation 10Pi a few years back. One tweeter was the original p/n 200011-1 and the other was the AR replacement p/n 1200084-0. The original tweeter went OL on the voice coil so I bought a pair of the Midwest replacements. I have the 1200084-0 sitting on the shelf in a box. I might be convinced to part with it. However, it came with 2 small dings in the dome. PM me if interested and I can post a picture of it. Keep in mind these can not be rebuild (at this time) and it has ferro-fluid.

On 6/5/2021 at 2:15 PM, AR55 said:

I doubt that you will find a cream colored AR tweeter.  I have never seen a working one come up for sale.  You may have some luck finding the black, second generation tweeter found in the second generation AR-10B/11B.  It doesn’t show up every day on eBay, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see one for sale in the next few months.  I recently restored a pair of first generation AR-11A’s that had blown tweeters, and was able to replace the tweeters with a pair of eBay sourced 11B tweeters. 

I don’t think that you will find an audible difference in the sound of the first & second generation tweeters.  Other than cosmetics (black dome verses cream dome), it appears that the addition of Ferrofluid to the 10B’s/11B’s tweeter’s voice coil was the only change that AR made.  This gave it more power handling ability.

If you can’t find an 11B tweeter, you may want to consider replacing one or both tweeters with aftermarket tweeters.  I purchased a pair from Midwest Speaker Repair (Midwest Speaker Repair MT-4121 .75-inch dome tweeter) to use as backups, since I am now running 2 pairs of AR-11’s in my system, and didn’t want to risk not having a replacement if a tweeter blows.  I compared the AR 11B tweeter to the MT-4121 tweeter, and felt that the MT-4121 may be a little bit brighter, but otherwise I could hear no difference.    

I am kicking myself as apparently there was a listing on ebay for the cream tweeters at some point, and I missed it...which has been annoying me! 

I'm in the UK and AR3as are rare enough over here, so when I found this pair of AR10s I did end up paying over the odds for them as I'd never seen any over here before in all my years of looking. I got a pair of AR3a improveds, but I never liked them and I couldn't figure out why, when comparing to a pair of AR3as I restored for a friend they sounded terrible. Ended up getting a minty pair of AR5s which I really like, and then a month later these AR10s come along.

They are in storage at the moment as I don't have enough spare cash to get the parts required for restoration, and I have been cogitating what to do about the tweeters for a long while now. The reason I was hoping to get a cream tweeter is that the later ones had ferrofluid, and by now is probably all gummed up and not performing as originally designed. Having one with old fluid and one without made me think they wouldn't sound the same. As far as I can remember the AR3a style tweeter did work, but it was dented quite badly. I was thinking about using it with my AR5s as one has an aftermarket tweeter, but the AR5s tweeters are a different impedance I think? 

I had thought about aftermarket, which would make more sense I suppose as then I could get a pair of aftermarkets and keep the cream for spares, but I'm still undecided.

I have some HiVi Q1R from the AR5/AR3as which I could use, but I know they're not meant to be a good replacement for the later AR9/10/11 models. 

On 6/5/2021 at 10:27 PM, DavidR said:

I bought a pair of 2nd generation 10Pi a few years back. One tweeter was the original p/n 200011-1 and the other was the AR replacement p/n 1200084-0. The original tweeter went OL on the voice coil so I bought a pair of the Midwest replacements. I have the 1200084-0 sitting on the shelf in a box. I might be convinced to part with it. However, it came with 2 small dings in the dome. PM me if interested and I can post a picture of it. Keep in mind these can not be rebuild (at this time) and it has ferro-fluid.

That could be ideal! I would be interested to see a few photos if possible. How does the 1200084-0 differ from the original tweeters? There were some documents linked on other forum posts about these tweeters but I think with the new website the file has been lost and the link no longer works

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/4/2021 at 9:22 AM, DavidR said:

I have to agree. I prefer listening to my 91s a bit more than the 10Pi; but not a whole lot. I have to get or make some tilting stands for the 10pi and see if that makes a difference.

I was not familiar with the 58s or 91. Thank you !! Great info. 

11 hours ago, Phxjohn said:

I was not familiar with the 58s or 91. Thank you !! Great info. 

The AR-91 is essentially a slightly more modern, floor-standing AR-3a. I got a great deal on a pair 10 years ago: 

These are my "reference" speakers but some day I'd like to try stacking the AR-3a's on top.