Inherited KLH model 6's

robert

Hello all...I just hooked up a recently inherited pair of KLH model 6's (I am using an NAD 3240PE amp)...is there any way to accurately date them? One of the speakers is missing the KLH badge, anyone have one for sale? I have read through some of the posted topics and threads (very helpful and informative) I think the speakers sound quite good given their age but I gather there are some things that can be done to give them a little electronic tune up such as replacing caps and cross overs...not really being a speaker buff, are these changes/upgrades necessary and what will be the result?

Thanks in advance for the reply.

Welcome Robert

I'm not sure which label the Six used. KLH had 3 similar labels--a 1-3/4" x 3/4" stick-on aluminum, a larger 2-1/4" x 1" stick-on aluminum and also the larger size but made of a heavy cast metal with a screw back. I know the screw-back ones were used on the Five and the Twelve.

All of these come up for sale on ebay but the cast ones tend to be pricey. I hope to have some good quality laser-etched reproductions of the stick-on kind by the end of the month. Here are some photos: http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=6002

Now as for the tune-up: KLH often (but not always) used unreliable PVC capacitors. They should be replaced and it's not very difficult. BUT according to the manual, here, http://classicspeakerpages.net/library/klh/klh_6_klh_model_six/klh_6_manual/klh_6_manual_pg4.html the Six used oil-filled caps. If that's the case, good news! Leave them alone. That's good news for a few reasons. Some Sixes had their woofers epoxied to the cabinets and were not designed to be user-serviceable. Later ones, thankfully, had removable woofers. Maybe someone who has actually opened a Six can comment here.

The only other tune-up would be to check the woofer for a good seal. Push in on the woofer cone, using 3 fingers as a sort of tripod around the center dustcap. The woofer should take a second or so to return. If it pops right back there is an air leak (I'm quite sure the Six has cloth woofer surrounds). If there is a leak, You can coat the cloth surrounds lightly with some sealant made and sold by member RoyC.

Kent

Archived