Acoustic Research AR6 - or what?

ainagy

Dear All,

Greetings to everyone here, I'm new to this forum. I'm turning to you with a question as I'm planning to buy a new set of speakers and would appreciate some advice from the more experienced members (I have no experience whatsoever, currently I'm using a cheap set that belonged to an old radio amp).

So, I'm looking for 4 or 8 ohms speakers for my integrated tube amp with a single-ended power section with 807 tubes, for listening to jazz and blues music. One of my current candidates is an Acoustic Research AR6 (on sale for about 120 USD). Another candidate would be a Heybrook HB1 (on sale for about 130 USD). In both of these, the woofer surrounds have been replaced.

I would appreciate your opinion on how the AR6 and HB1 would compare. (I'm looking for something in this price range. There are also some more obscure ones that I'm thinking on, like a Dual CL-142, but the AR6 and HB1 would seem a safer bet.)

Best regards,

Andras

Welcome to the CSP forum, Andras. I hope you'll agree that you'll find a lot of well-informed voices speaking up here to respond to your queries.

I probably cannot be too much help here because I am unfamiliar with most of the component models you have mentioned in your post, but the mention of AR-6's caught my attention. Even this reference left me thinking - - - are you talking about the classic model walnut-and-linen two-way AR-6's from the early 70's? If so, 120 USD might be a suitable price for a pair in overall good condition, but your comment about them being "on sale" makes me wonder if you are considering some altogether different speaker than the one I am thinking of.

The only thing I can add is that my first good "hi-fi" system, obtained over 40 years ago, and still in use and in my possession, included a pair of AR-4x's and an integrated Scott tube amp. The speakers have had the usual maintenance (cap replacement, pot cleaning and woofer surround coating) and the amp has seen some service repair over the years, but I have to say that to this day, I am still very impressed with the sound from this combination, and my only thought is that it might get even a little better with a pair of AR-6's instead.

Good luck and keep us informed.

post-112624-0-98160600-1350421229_thumb.

Hmmm..... I do not know this speaker model at all, so I guess I am even less helpful than I originally thought I might be. Trying to learn a bit, though, I did stumble on this crossover schematic if it might be of interest to you.

post-112624-0-35502800-1350485070_thumb.

Archived