Problem with woofer on an AR5.....

lakecat

In that case definitely bad VC. I think I'll try my luck at delicately pulling her apart. Have you had any luck using acetone to soften the factory dust cap and spider adhesive? The optimistic side of me is hoping for a simple fix... The realistic side of me knows it will likely be a recone.

Otherwise, the 2ax and 5's use the same woofer for replacement if I've understood correctly?

Thanks again Roy.

The later 2ax and the 5 used the same foam surround woofer. The earlier 2ax used a cloth surround woofer (as wells as a foam surround woofer for a short time) with a larger, 11" basket.

A rubbing voice coil is most often caused by a poor re-foam job. You mentioned "recentering". What did you do to accomplish that?

Roy

Based on a recommendation from simply speakers, I used acetone (from a plastic syringe) to reactivate the glue around the foam surround. This allowed me to move the cone to a position that was not rubbing the voice coil. Admittedly it was not in a central position, so while it sounded amazing initially I probably knew it was too good to last.

I'm wondering if the acetone would also be able to reactivate the factory glue on the dust cap and spider. May be a trial and error here.

Based on a recommendation from simply speakers, I used acetone (from a plastic syringe) to reactivate the glue around the foam surround. This allowed me to move the cone to a position that was not rubbing the voice coil. Admittedly it was not in a central position, so while it sounded amazing initially I probably knew it was too good to last.

I'm wondering if the acetone would also be able to reactivate the factory glue on the dust cap and spider. May be a trial and error here.

I'm pretty sure you need to re-foam the woofer.

It is becoming obvious to me that someone tried to re-foam your woofer without shimming the voice coil. The only way to be absolutely sure you have a properly centered voice coil is to shim it during the re-foam process. It is a simple matter of using an Exacto knife to slice the dust cap around the perimeter and flap it back, then glue it back down when the work is done. Another option is to replace the dust cap. The AR 10 inch woofer is not an easy woofer to re-foam without the use of shims.

Btw, I do not recommend that solvent based glue (like the stuff Simply Speakers sells) be used by the inexperienced. A water based glue like Aleene's Tacky Glue works very well, and is much easier to use.

It is very doubtful you have a problem requiring the removal of the spider and/or inspection of the voice coil.

Roy

Thanks Roy! I assume I would need to obtain a specific shim or can I use some materials from around the house to roll up a shim? Any guidance on where to make the cut on the dust cap with the exacto knife ( inside the glue, middle of glue or outside the glue)? I'm out of town for business but I'll tackle this when I return in a couple days and post some pics / findings.

Thanks Roy! I assume I would need to obtain a specific shim or can I use some materials from around the house to roll up a shim? Any guidance on where to make the cut on the dust cap with the exacto knife ( inside the glue, middle of glue or outside the glue)? I'm out of town for business but I'll tackle this when I return in a couple days and post some pics / findings.

Sean,

If you intend to tackle this yourself, you can get all of the proper materials and information from this source:

http://www.citlink.net/~msound/

email: msound@citlink.net

The business is run by John McPeak.

Another option is to have the woofer repaired by a professional.

Milersound (Bill LeGall) is probably the best in the business, and is in PA, like you.

http://www.millersound.net/contact.htm

Roy

Archived