AR5 recap

DDGP1027

Hi All,

As a newbie to the forum and (forgive me if I exxaggerate) proud owner of a pair of AR5's with serial numbers 7533/7534, I'd be very grateful if some of the truly erudite and informed members could give me some advice (bearing in mind the shipping costs to Italy) as to the replacement of the capacitors in these speakers. I believe the speakers are approx. 40 years old and sound well enough for their age but I feel that the caps are a bit off value. I haven't as of yet opened the cabinets but I believe from the previous owner that they are original. (4uf, 24uf & 72uf for the tweeter,midrange and woofer respectively. The pots are also scratchy but I can find a position(s) where the interference is limited. My research with Falcon Acoustics (UK) ended with their advising me to stay with NPE's (total cost per speaker £3.26). However, pots or rather L-pads from the Uk work out at approx £20 per L-pad (somewhat excessive I'd say. Bearing in mind that Parts Express furnish the pots at $5.55(a piece) and stock both Solen and Dayton caps, could I ask if this is the route to follow on a bang per buck basis. Should I also consider using a film cap for the 4uf and NPE's for the24uf and 72uf.

Thanking you in anticipation for your advice on these extraordinary speakers.Please forgive me if the post is in the wrong section. :) :)

Hi All,

As a newbie to the forum and (forgive me if I exxaggerate) proud owner of a pair of AR5's with serial numbers 7533/7534, I'd be very grateful if some of the truly erudite and informed members could give me some advice (bearing in mind the shipping costs to Italy) as to the replacement of the capacitors in these speakers. I believe the speakers are approx. 40 years old and sound well enough for their age but I feel that the caps are a bit off value. I haven't as of yet opened the cabinets but I believe from the previous owner that they are original. (4uf, 24uf & 72uf for the tweeter,midrange and woofer respectively. The pots are also scratchy but I can find a position(s) where the interference is limited. My research with Falcon Acoustics (UK) ended with their advising me to stay with NPE's (total cost per speaker £3.26). However, pots or rather L-pads from the Uk work out at approx £20 per L-pad (somewhat excessive I'd say. Bearing in mind that Parts Express furnish the pots at $5.55(a piece) and stock both Solen and Dayton caps, could I ask if this is the route to follow on a bang per buck basis. Should I also consider using a film cap for the 4uf and NPE's for the24uf and 72uf.

Thanking you in anticipation for your advice on these extraordinary speakers.Please forgive me if the post is in the wrong section. :) :)

Welcome to CSP...

I would use film caps for the tweeter and mid and npe (if cost is a factor) for the woofer. Parts Express L-pads and Dayton caps are a great way to go if overseas shipping costs are not prohibitive. I usually use Dayton 4uf, 25uf, and 75uf film caps for the AR-5. These are close enough to the original values, and comprise the set of AR-5 caps sold by Ebay's "Vintage AR".

You may want to remove the pots and inspect them before ordering L-pads. You may be able to save them.

Roy

Ciao!

Solen caps are made in France, so you may be able to get them at a fair price in Italy.

If you buy from the US, Madisound is another resource. They have caps (Solen, Carli, Bennic and others) and L-pads.

Kent

I'd like to thank you both for the advice and information that you willingly share.....I believe that this is what makes this forum such a pleasure to frequent . Thanks RoyC.... I think that I'll probably go with Parts Express (in spite of the minimum $50.00 order they impose for international orders) and buy the recommended Dayton caps and probably the speaker sealant tape. Once I've completed the refurb I'll host some pics and once again ....a heartfelt thanks to you guys.

Gino

Archived