AR9's - 4 or 8ohm tap?

Crestwood23

Hi, this is my first post here and am excited to finally be part of the "AR club"! I recently scored a beautiful set of AR9's and have been hard at work re-foaming the drivers. I'm finally done and they are now ready for a test run. I'm hooking them up to my Mcintosh MC2105 amplifier. I've read the original AR9 manual on this site and it says to hook them up to the 8ohm out of the amp, but I've also read here that they are 4ohm speakers? Any owners out there have the real answer? Thanks!

Great thanks for the replies. I've hooked them up to the 4ohm tap and I must say they sound pretty awesome! Overall I'd say the bass is a tad shy when A/B'd with my JBL L300s, but then again the JBLs are much more efficient. So now I must say I am really curious to try to bring out the full potential of the less efficient AR9s with bi-amped 2105's! Now I just need to convince my wife :). My friend has an Adcom GFA-555 that I could borrow - I might try running the woofers off of that as an experiment. I've never biamped before - do I need special cables or an adaptor to hook that up?

You'd just need to remove the binding post jumpers between the upper and lower portions of the crossover, and then connect one amplifier's output to the upper section, and the other amp to the lower section.

The Adcom 555 is an excellent amp to use with the AR-9 - as you've mentioned, its 200 watts/channel would probably be most useful driving the woofer section.

I'm not certain what the respective input sensitivity is for your two amps, but the level controls on your MC2105 might come in handy in balancing the two.

Good luck with your project - send photos!

Archived