M5 or M6 Holographic speakers

Peter Wighton

I originally put this in another sub-thread because I couldn't see the Start New Topic button (first place you go blind is in the eyeballs!!!)

I have owned a pair of AR m5 "holographic imaging" speakers from new since around 1995/6.

They still sound pretty good, but compared to the Energy Connoseur Centre and surrounds I bought 3-5 years ago they don't seem have the same "body" or "fullness" of sound. Wondering if maybe something has gone amiss inside them. I am no tinkerer or handyman, and know next to nothing about electronics. Is it just that new technology has overtaken the quality of these speakers?

The other thing that really upsets me is I tried wiping the cabinets once and now they have these shiny areas instead of smooth very matt black. Strange material. Anyone with a lot of experience of the M5 or M6??

the foam surrounds on the 8" woofer in the base might be falling apart, hurting bass output. I re-foamed mine earlier this year, was a pretty simple job. take the feet off, the terminal cup off, and then 8 scews on the bottom, and the board the woofer is on slides right out. this is the foam I used

http://meniscusaudio...oam-p-1236.html

I cleaned off the old crumbling surround, and glued it to the cone. the next day, I glued the surround to the basket, while using a 30hz test tone to center the voice coil as the glue is drying, and using spring loaded clothespins to clamp it once I got it centered the way I wanted.

worked good. in the top nacelle, there is only 1 capacitor, and it's a poly film one. there's a big NPE in the base used as a high pass to the top nacelle, I haven't replaced mine, but I sppose if it drifts to the low side, that could reduce the amount of upper bass range handled by the 5" woofer up top.

as far as the cabs, it's some sort of rubbery paint. mine were feeling kinda sticky. the tops had some issues (one was cracked in the corner) so I needed some glue and body filler to fix them...I then painted them with some satin black spray paint. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with the bottoms, so I got some faux suede from a fabric store, some velcro, and had my mom help me make some covers for the base. they wrap around, the fabric is slightly stretchy, so they are held on with friction.

to touch it up. what I would say would be the closest finish, color and sheen wise, is black barbeque paint. I'd maybe wipe them down with mineral spirits, and spray them with some black barbeque paint....

P.S. in my pics, you can see a little bit of stuffing in the top port of the base. I found the bass a little boomy where I have them placed, so a little poly fill in those top ports tame it down a skoash.

post-106055-0-99368800-1347626402_thumb.

post-106055-0-44418600-1347626418_thumb.

• 3 weeks later...

the foam surrounds on the 8" woofer in the base might be falling apart, hurting bass output. I re-foamed mine earlier this year, was a pretty simple job. take the feet off, the terminal cup off, and then 8 scews on the bottom, and the board the woofer is on slides right out. this is the foam I used

http://meniscusaudio...oam-p-1236.html

I cleaned off the old crumbling surround, and glued it to the cone. the next day, I glued the surround to the basket, while using a 30hz test tone to center the voice coil as the glue is drying, and using spring loaded clothespins to clamp it once I got it centered the way I wanted.

worked good. in the top nacelle, there is only 1 capacitor, and it's a poly film one. there's a big NPE in the base used as a high pass to the top nacelle, I haven't replaced mine, but I sppose if it drifts to the low side, that could reduce the amount of upper bass range handled by the 5" woofer up top.

as far as the cabs, it's some sort of rubbery paint. mine were feeling kinda sticky. the tops had some issues (one was cracked in the corner) so I needed some glue and body filler to fix them...I then painted them with some satin black spray paint. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with the bottoms, so I got some faux suede from a fabric store, some velcro, and had my mom help me make some covers for the base. they wrap around, the fabric is slightly stretchy, so they are held on with friction.

to touch it up. what I would say would be the closest finish, color and sheen wise, is black barbeque paint. I'd maybe wipe them down with mineral spirits, and spray them with some black barbeque paint....

P.S. in my pics, you can see a little bit of stuffing in the top port of the base. I found the bass a little boomy where I have them placed, so a little poly fill in those top ports tame it down a skoash.

Thanks for the reply: not too much of a handyman, and very unnerved at possibility of "messing up", so might get them looked at professionally. That could include checking that there is no corrosion in any of the crossover circuit bits

They still sound very good in mid-high range

as far as the cabs, it's some sort of rubbery paint. mine were feeling kinda sticky. the tops had some issues (one was cracked in the corner) so I needed some glue and body filler to fix them...I then painted them with some satin black spray paint.

Pat: Sounds like a job for my new favorite product; spray-on truck bed liner!

Peter: If you are in or near NW NJ I'd be glad to help.

Kent

Archived