AR 5 woofers

ironlake

From what I have read on the ar 5 they got an improved woofer, so when you see woofers for sale and they say for 2, 2a ,2ax and 5 are they the improved version of the 2 version?

Vintage ar this would be a good question for you.

Only the very earlist AR-5's had a slightly different woofer. 99+% of what you see for sale is the woofer shared by the 5 and 2ax. The AR-5 was the first AR model to use a woofer with a foam surround from its inception. When the new foam surround woofer for the AR-2ax was developed it was decided to use the same woofer for both the 2ax and 5.

Btw, "Vintage AR"/Larry Lagace seldom visits audio forums.

Roy

• 4 years later...
On 9/12/2012 at 1:01 PM, RoyC said:

Only the very earlist AR-5's had a slightly different woofer. 99+% of what you see for sale is the woofer shared by the 5 and 2ax. The AR-5 was the first AR model to use a woofer with a foam surround from its inception. When the new foam surround woofer for the AR-2ax was developed it was decided to use the same woofer for both the 2ax and 5.

Btw, "Vintage AR"/Larry Lagace seldom visits audio forums.

Roy

Roy

I have AR service replacement woofers in late model Euro style AR5s. IYO is there any advantage to switching them to the flat dust cover 10" woofer.  Would they sound different?  Be more period correct?  Were Euro AR5s ever designed and  made with a domed dust cover 10"?  Is there a question I should have asked but missed?

Thanks

Aadams

The later service replacement woofer has a ferrite magnet, and the original woofers have an alnico magnet. The later woofer is a bit more sensitive, and sounds a bit different. I personally prefer the original alnico magnet woofer(s), most of which can be identified by the flat dust cap...though the very first AR-5 alnico magnet woofer had a dome dust cap.

Roy

Archived