My AR4x resto...

fran604g

Wow, the linen on your grilles, at least in these photos, looks nearly new with no imperfections and not even the usual discoloration that comes with age. I have several linen grilles that are discolored but not tattered, and I have not yet tried to remove the fabric and see how well they might "freshen up" with a soak and a suitable cleaner.

As far as the badge, instead of hot gluing onto the fabric, I'd suggest trying to find a single, small threaded flat head wood screw (either slot or phillips) and with just a dab of epoxy, you could secure this to the backside of the badge. This way, you'll still have the flexibility to have the badge read correctly in both the horizontal and vertical positions. with only a 90-degree adjustment of the screw.

Speaking of badges, now that you've done such a terrific job with your 3a's, it looks like you may need one more of these (see attached pic).

post-112624-0-88830100-1348077283_thumb.

Yeah, I got lucky, I think one is from these and the other one from the junk ones.

Re-attaching the badge to a screw is a great idea, I have a bunch of #6 flatheads at work, I'll have to snag one.

Thanks for the link to the 3a badge, it's looming in the back of my mind, the way my luck has been lately, I have a feeling I'll come across one soon ;)

Again, I say "great job" on your 4x restoration - the oil finish looks terrific. A few cabinet edges seem to have a bit of veneer erosion, and there are several methods for re-coloring them if so desired - - - pencils, markers, dyes, etc. Now, just get that final badge repaired and screwed in!

Dry cleaner for grille cleaning? Kinda interesting, I'm curious.

Archived