Smearum on tweeters

ironlake

Great question, case in point are the UMR and tweeter on the AR9. UMR on my set is shiny, the tweeter is not. Would be interesting to hear why the two were manufactured using what appears to be different processes or materials.

I would think it would dampen out some frequencies if it is the simply speakers surround stuff as it stays sticky and if it is glue the cone would get hard and sound more tinny. just my opinion only. but why not leave them alone. I am trying to find a good pair of 4x speakers on ebay but so far they all have the shinny stuff on and my originals do not have anything on them.

I put my receiver in the mono mode on Minnesota Public Radio on a violin solo. Then I switched back and forth between the left and right channel. The tweeter on the left side has gloss all over it and the one on the right side is plain back paper with no gloss. The violin on the gloss tweeter definately sounded harsh compared to the non treated one. I have ordered a tweeter to replace the gloss one so both speakers sound nice and mellow. Why did ar do this, it makes no sense unless some idiot coated the tweeter himself. My 4xs are all restored so they were used when I got them.

If you love the smooth ar sound resist buying one with the goop on any of the speakers.

I see allot of tweeters from ar on sale on ebay that have some sort of gloss stuff smeared on the cone. What does that do to the sound of the speaker and for what reason is it done.

The cones of most early AR drivers were treated, and others were covered with fiberglass pads. This was done to alter the character of the drivers' response to meet AR's design goals.

It is impossible at this point to discern the reasons for the varying placement and quantity of the "doping" compound AR used.

Attached is a photo of a mid 60's 4x tweeter showing minimal treatment around the dustcap. Other 4x tweeter cones often exhibit more....some later ones show none at all.

Roy

post-101150-0-83474500-1347637612_thumb.

Archived