AR3a converting from Pots to L-Pads Yellow wire issue

speakone

I am new to this Form and I owe Mr. Kent a Big Thank you.

Kent was very Kind and directed me to various pages that gave part discriptions and the sources in where to get the components needed to change from Pots to L-pads.

Well I orderd the Parts and and I took the old pots out and I was getting ready I thought to complete the Job' but I'm stumped concerning there being two yellow wires when there is only one.

Please forgive me if I'm sounding like a Ding Bat"" looking at the way they where wired originaly there was a singal yellow wire that that went from the T terminal Point then to the #2 Terminal of the Tweeter Pot & the #2 Terminal of the Mid range Pot then it goes to one of the drivers? I'm assuming.

My question refering to Restoring the AR-3a page 15 which shows the wiring for using L-Pads Figure 3:15 the Tweeter

and 3:16 the Mid Range both use a yellow wire but from what I can see there is only one Yellow wire.

Again please for give me I don't mean to repete my self but I'm stressing out Big time can some one please help me.

I seem to have a handle on the fact both the Mid & tweeter have a 25 Ohm resistor on pins 1 & 2 of the L-Pads to make them act more like a Reostat if I'm speaking correctly I have never in my life seen speakers wired like these AR3a's

If Kent or some could get back to me that would be appreciated very much my cell is 240-715-7216

Best regards

John.

Does this help? This is a picture/cartoon of the xo using POTS, not L-pads, but you can make the translation to the L-Pad lugs.

Kent

edit: Now that I look at this, the yellow wire in my cartoon looks wrong. Please wait for a more expert member to comment before following it.

Kent

First and for most God Bless you for your Patience.

When you say that I can make the translation to the L=Pad Lugs I'm not sure what you mean I don't mean to be a pain.

Acording to the reference materila you made mention of Restoring the AR-3a on page 15 figure 3:15 and 3:16 rplacing Pots with L-pads

on both the Mid-Range and the Tweeter the yellow wire goes to Pin # 1 on the L-Pads my God I must have Brain Damage.

I don't seem to understand do I need to put in jumpers that connect the two L-Pads together refering to the Yellow wire and the drawing you sent me all I know is that there is only one Yellow wire that goes to the Tweeter what about the Mid range it is to have a Yellow wire as well .

Kent I hope what I'm trying to come across to you is making sense.

Best regards'

John

The lugs on the L-Pads are not marked the same as the ones on the pots. The pots are marked 1, B, 2. The L-pads are 1,2,3. L-Pad lug 1 = pot lug 2. L-pad 2 = pot B, L-pad 3 = Pot 1. So if you are connecting a wire to lug 1 on the pot it has to go to lug 3 on the L-pad. There is a recent thread on this. See post #29 here: http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=7358&st=20

But don't use the wiring diagram I posted above. I'm sure the yellow wire I show from the "T" to the tweeter is wrong. That wire, I believe, should go directly from the Hi pot lug 2 (or L-pad lug 1) to the tweeter. But again--wait for another member to comment. I think the cartoon posted below is correct.

Yes, a yellow wire goes to the Mid + from the Mid pot terminal 2 (or L-pad terminal 1) and one yellow wire goes from the Hi pot lug 2 (l-pad lug 1) to the tweeter +. There has to be a connection from Terminal T to both the Hi and Mid pots. You can either run a wire from T to each, or use a jumper from one pot to the other as shown in my cartoon.

But again--wait for a crossover expert to comment. I don't want to confuse things even more.

Now I have to tear into my 3a's and see if I wired them wrong! I should probably thank you!

Kent

post-101828-0-38177800-1346178564_thumb.

Kent

I do appreciate all your help I would like to think I have some smarts again I don't mean to repete my self it struck me as being strange in that the Yellow wire that goes to the tweeter actualy is solderd to pin #2 of the Mid range Pot then from the very same Pin on the Mid range Pot there is a Yellow jumper wire that goes to Pin #2 of the Tweeter Pot then it runs down to the T- Terminal.

I just hope that the Inductor wire that is to be solderd to the Mid Range L-pad Terminal #3 is correct because it looks like it's in the Tweeter Circuit

as it is the smallist of the Three Inductors.

Please for give me I'm not trying to make things more confusing I just want to make sure I'm doing it right again thank you very much!!!!

The yellow wire connects the T terminal, both pots, the tweeter and the mid. How you run the wires is not important as long as there is an electrical path. So you can either run individual wires fron T to each pot, or run one wire to one pot and then a jumper to the other.

Here's another diagram. Our friend RoyC had a hand in this one so it's certainly correct. I "borrowed" it from another forum.

Kent

post-101828-0-69374800-1346181636_thumb.

Sorry to have added to the confusion. The drawing in Post #6 is simplified and probably shows it best. And now that I look at it again, the drawing I attached to Post #2 (then deleted) was probably OK. The thing is, there is electrical continuity among T, both pots' #2 lug, the tweeter + side and the mid + side. In your case, substitute "L-Pad lug #1" for "pot #2 lug." The wires could be routed a couple of different ways, so long as all those elements are electrically connected to each other.

Again--sorry for the confusion. Today has been one long "senior moment."

;)

Kent

Archived