3a tweeters

HarryM

Hi Roy (since this pertains to the penultimate sentence in your last post here),

You mention the AR sub of the AR-11 tweeter in 3as and the factory's fitting of a series cap - do you recall/know the value and what, if any, other modifications were made? I ask because I found a couple of NOS replacement 11 tweeters and wish to fit them to one pair of my AR-3as.

Thanks, John

Hi John,

The cap value was 3.3uf, which, in series with the original 6uf cap. brought the total capacitance down to around 2uf.

Roy

Interesting ... I wonder if any published curves of the result of such a substitution exist.

I doubt it. By the time the AR-11 style tweeter was used as a replacement for the original 3a tweeter, the 3a was no longer being manufactured.

Even with the added cap, it is not a precise match to the original 3a tweeter, so it is best to implement it in pairs. As models were discontinued, replacement drivers were often those used in current models with somewhat different response characteristics.

Roy

Another approach would be to use a small .1mh to.15mh parallel inductor instead of the added series cap. This AR-11 style tweeter was used with a .16mh inductor, a 4uf crossover cap, and an 8 ohm L-pad in the later AR-3a Limited. The rest of the 3a Limited crossover was very similar to the original AR-3a.

Roy

• 3 years later...
On 8/22/2012 at 9:02 AM, HarryM said:

I picked up a pair of 3a's that don't have the original tweeters so I am on the look out for some.My question is if the dome is pushed in are they repairable.

I really would like to get these back to what they should be but I have managed to improve the sound with the tweeters that are in them.At least I can listen to them now with out my ears splitting.LOL.Thanks Roy for your post about changing the 6uf cap to a 2uf cap for the HiVi tweeters or was it the ABTech tweeters,I can't remember that part.I tried that with these and it help alot.

I did find it interesting that the mid range driver produces most of the sound.At least on mine,I hope thats normal or I have a lot more work to do.

Thanks for anything anybody can tell me.Harry.

Hello, I found Audax Ermel 3 way speaker system, anyone has knowledge about wattage / performance about it? I would like hook it up on Quad II. 

Archived